To Strobe or not to Strobe? For the first dive!

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby syncs876 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:12 am

I'm going to a diving location (Marsa Alam) and it will be my first dive. I have no expectation at all (and no experience either, aside reading "the underwater photography" and snorkeling since I was very young).

Now, I have a canon s90 with the case, and I'm going to buy a Inon UWL-100 28AD wide angle lens.

Question is, given that at this point I don't know what I will be able to do, given my (nonexistent) experience, is it worth to have a strobe, for the few dives?
In the fortunate case that I will like it (:-)), I'm going to upgrade my gear for sure, so would it be worth buying a quite good strobe now? or just go for a second hand/cheap one? or not having one at all until I get more experience?

Thanks!
syncs876

Postby bvanant » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

If this really is your first dive then I would not take a camera at all. Worry about the diving and let someone else take the pictures. My take is that until you have at least 50 dives and are comfortable with your buoyancy you should leave the camera on the boat.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby syncs876 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 am

Wow, that's surprising!

Thanks, I will change my plans, then.
syncs876

Postby bvanant » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:24 pm

I was not trying to be mean at all but if it really your first dive then having a camera could be very dangerous. There is a lot going on during your first 10 dives so why take the risk.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Abigail1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Before some days i have the same question on mind.But here got the solution.Thanks
Abigail1

Return to Underwater Photography Questions