My first pics with my own camera Canon S95

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby catrin pichler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:50 am

Hi, this are ma first pics with my own camera. Would be helpful to hear some comments.And - sorry about the format it's 16:9. And the small upload quality naturally makes them not better.
Regards, catrin
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0403.jpg
cp
catrin pichler

Postby maggieD » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 am

Good job for a first time out. I like the turtle the best, I think. The eel is nice too. The second shot is what I call a butt shot. Did you use a zoom on it? Because it isn't lite at all. You should try to get close enough for your flash to light your subject and try not to shoot just from the side. A nice three quarter shot, from the front is a nice composition. There is a ton of information on this site. This is an addictive hobby.
maggieD

Postby smb2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:57 pm

Gotta love the Semilavartus butterflies.
Do you have an attached strobe or were these taken with the camera flash alone?
Getting closer always helps and is advice that gets repeated a lot here. You are nice and close to the Moray but I think it would have richer colors with more light.
Critiques also are easier if you can supply some of the camera settings.
Great start, keep the images coming.
smb2

Postby Salil Sahani » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:34 am

I Myself Am a Newbie so I Cant Comment on The Technicalities but I Liked the First One with the Butterfly fish Pair :)

Also Liked the 2nd Photo - Liked the Angle In which It is Taken :) and the Third One Too :) Really Nice :)
Salil S Sahani
Wildlife Photographer Freelance
Salil Sahani

Postby catrin pichler » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:03 am

Hi guys,
thanks for your comments. The pic with the butterflies was without any flashlight.
Why is the "buttshot" perspective not good? I specially liked this perspective on this pic - remembered me on a "watcher". Must every picture :?: be shot from the front ? Tell me more, maggieD !
cp
catrin pichler

Postby catrin pichler » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 am

...I didn't use any manual settings at the camera. I did all the shots simply with the underwater mode. I wish to get more familiar with the settings to reach better results. I also bought an external flash now - hope to improve! Maybe I should join a course somewhere?
cp
catrin pichler

Postby vijayr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi Catrin,
I think you will find a lot of useful information on this site to help you improve your photography. There is a great section for beginners. You can find the links on the top left column. There is also an article on camera settings for the Canon S95 to shoot underwater here. Hope that helps! :)

Vijay Raman My Website

vijayr

Return to Underwater Photos