More snaps from Papua New Guinea

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby Aussie_dave » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:01 am

Here's a few more shots from PNG. Yes, the flatworm was already swimming when I found him, ;) and yes, these images have been processed (Lightroom v2.7). Click on the portrait images to see the whole photo without the scrollbars.

I have a lot of respect for the wide-angle hotshots amongst you. I do love this UFL-165AD lens, but there is a lot to shooting good W/A. Technical yes, but with an artful eye. Someday I'll get there - hopefully with hundreds more dives to practice!

- Dave
Attachments
Stagburst.jpg
Tv mode, F2.2 1/1000 ISO100, Inon W/A, no strobe
Stagburst.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Tunic8.jpg
Tv mode, F2.2 1/250 ISO100, Inon macro, backlight strobe manual
Tunic8.jpg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Flattie.jpg
U/W scene mode, F2.8 1/60 ISO80, Inon macro, dual strobes sTTL
Flattie.jpg (96.3 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Clown.jpg
U/W scene mode, F3.5 1/60 ISO80, Inon macro, one strobe sTTL
Clown.jpg (196.72 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Postby Karl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 am

Great photos - PNG is on my to do list one day.

Karl
Karl

Postby seekncritters » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm

Dave, I REALLY love the tunicate photo! The flying worm is way cool! And I see the little clown has a friend (shrimp?) it's sharing the hole with. Cute! On the wide angle photo, did you try using your strobes to light the foreground? I can imagine that was a very colorful scene!

More, please! :D

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby Aussie_dave » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks, Guys.

Karl - yes, go to PNG! Easy to get to Port Moresby from Oz: Air Niugini from Brisbane or Sydney, Airlines PNG or QANTASlink from Cairns. Domestic travel once there can be a challenge...

Dana - for the tunicate I detached the strobe arm and held it way up above and in front of the subject as Scott recommended in this lesson: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-photography-strobe-lighting-backscatter
The wide angle staghorn was shot in shallowish water looking into the sun, which obliterated the foreground. If I had fired the strobe as you say, I might know what colour all those fish are! Next time!
And yes, the clownfish's friend is a banded cleaner shrimp. There is a green anemone in that hole, too; I tried to light it with direct strobe light but got too much backscatter.

- Dave
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Postby scottg » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:58 pm

Dave - focus, color & lighting are looking great! well done. Excellent subjects also.

You are doing a great job of mastering your gear - and are ready to start trying interesting compositions, and capturing more marine life behavior like the flatworm. Looking forward to more photos!

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Return to Underwater Photos