Super Macro Part 2

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby smb2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:37 pm

Same Camera set up. Nikon D2x, dual Inon Z 220 strobes, WB cloudy, ISO 100.
Lens 105mm 2.8 Micro VR this time with a Kenko Pro 1.4 teleconverter.
I think the DOF is slightly better for close subjects, somebody will have to tell me if that is optically true or not. I like this set up better than just the +5 diopter. The working distance and ability to fill the frame seems easier. Have to play with this some more. You really have to have a macro frame of mind looking for subjects. Once again a shallow solo dive so I can sit in one spot for ever.
Comments and help appreciated.
Attachments
204 Cluster Dusterwtmk.jpg
Cluster Duster, a small colony worm ( about 1cm).
f29 1/250 Strobe -2 stops Slight crop to exclude a closed worm
(51.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
204 Lizzard fishwtmk.jpg
Lizard Fish
f 25 !/250 strobes -1 stop.
This seems to be as close as you can get to these ambush predators before they take off
204 Lettuce Sea Slug 2wtmk.jpg
Lettuce Sea Slug ( You can get a sense of the small DOF between the mouth and gills.)
f 36 1/250 Strobes -2 stops
204 Lettuce Sea Slugwtmk.jpg
Lettuce Sea Slug (not the Carnivore in Leslie's video!)
f 36 1/250
(50.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smb2

Postby scottg » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:20 pm

I like the lizardfish composition alot. I think the lettuce slug might work better if you "filled the frame" with the texture on it's back, at least for me.

keep up the supermacro posts, these are fun!

>> I think the DOF is slightly better for close subjects
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but at first read it doesn't make sense to me. by "better" do you mean larger?

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby smb2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:55 pm

The same composed image seems to have better DOF with the 105 + 1.4 vs. the 105 + diopter.
I doubt I would use the diopter over the 1.4 TC (but I might try both together!).

I like the vert. shot of the Sea Slug because I had never seen it's mouth parts or eye. Yes I wish I could have included more of the body in that frame. Now that I know they are there I have a project. The slugs are numerous but not always active, which you need for the different poses.

Hope to work on it in the AM.

Here is the smallest shrimp I could find. Almost impossible to focus on it; moving animal, moving anemone etc.
Attachments
204 Spotted Cleaner Shrimp.jpg
Spotted Cleaner shrimp.
(33.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smb2

Return to Underwater Photos