Lens: 55 mm
ISO: 250

Site Santa Maria al Bagno (The) - Fountain

Courage is fear holding a minute longer than the
Zen proverb

http://www.blackfrogteam.it/
fox147

Postby smb2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:33 am

I find Seahorses very frustrating. First you have to find them. Second, they love grungy areas. When I do find one I invariably have my 10-17mm. ;)
Finally, when you start to approach them, they almost always turn their head away so as not to look at the camera.
I always wonder about blue background and free swimming images.

Nice shot.
smb2

Postby fox147 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:50 am

Is true is as if they understood that we try to photograph them and lowered his head, :)
Zen proverb

fox147

Postby Critternut » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:18 pm

On a recent trip i was reviewing another photographers photos. He showed me a photo that he was quite proud of. Myself i was a tad put off. It was a Seahorse in front of a sunball, in the water column. Now for effect it looked neat, nice silhouette etc. But WAY unnatural.

my first thought when reading your post about Seahorse's and they're peculiar habit of shying away was this. Obviously, you aren't mishandling the wildlife. KUDOS for that.

What i try to do to get the seahorse to look at me is
1-turn off my modeling light, seahorses are light sensitive. Infact using your modeling light off camera behind your subject will often turn then towards you.

2- using my hand i will reach behind the subject and slowly move it towards the seahorse. You do not have to get close and should never touch them, it will turn them towards you.

3-resist the temptation to poke and prod...

Good Luck!
Mike Bartick~Critternut
www.saltwaterphoto.com
Critternut

Postby fox147 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:31 am

Critternut wrote:On a recent trip i was reviewing another photographers photos. He showed me a photo that he was quite proud of. Myself i was a tad put off. It was a Seahorse in front of a sunball, in the water column. Now for effect it looked neat, nice silhouette etc. But WAY unnatural.

my first thought when reading your post about Seahorse's and they're peculiar habit of shying away was this. Obviously, you aren't mishandling the wildlife. KUDOS for that.

What i try to do to get the seahorse to look at me is
1-turn off my modeling light, seahorses are light sensitive. Infact using your modeling light off camera behind your subject will often turn then towards you.

2- using my hand i will reach behind the subject and slowly move it towards the seahorse. You do not have to get close and should never touch them, it will turn them towards you.

3-resist the temptation to poke and prod...

Good Luck!

Thanks tanks for the advice, I'll try :D
Zen proverb

fox147

Postby cuddlefish » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm

That's a really clear shot of the seahorse, nicely done!
cuddlefish

Return to Underwater Photos