Programme or Aperture Priority?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Hintermann » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:00 pm

The way I am now taking my UW pictures now is as follows:

For wrecks and shallow, sunlit reeftops: Programme mode with Manual White Balance read off my white UW slate. No flash/strobe.

For pelagics & other big stuff out of strobe range: Same as above but if I have time I change to Aperture Priority and open the aperture to as much as the lens allows for the setting.

For everything else including nudibranches: I am using the Programme Mode with Twin Ikelite AF35 strobes. This works most of the time but sometimes the picutr is seriously overexposed, even with the strobe level reduced. I am guessing that the camera's light meter is reading off the dark rocks and reduced ambient light (compared with air, that is) and opening up the aperture too wide.

So, is it better to switch to the Aperture Priority mode for everything, setting the aperture at 5.6 and hoping that the shutter speed adjusts appropriately? Especially, will this work with Macro, which is where I have most of my overexposure problem?
Hintermann

Postby boletus » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:33 am

i think no one of this mode.... this camera can do a really nice job... but in only manual mode!
if you use AV the camera chose timing for you.... the camera dont know you are underwater... dont know you have external strobes.... the camera everytime chose the wrong speed!
for example in macro with external lens and two inons i shot all the time a f8.0 1/1600-1/1000... with wideangle, fast timing in sunburst 1/800 F8.0... with pelagics and fast moving fish you need to freeze the moment.... you cant in aperture mode... ;)
manual white balance isnt neccessary if you shot raw! :)
bye
fabio
boletus

Postby Zig » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:07 am

So, is it better to switch to the Aperture Priority mode for everything, setting the aperture at 5.6 and hoping that the shutter speed adjusts appropriately? Especially, will this work with Macro, which is where I have most of my overexposure problem?

What camera are you using? Remember - hope is not a strategy. I think that shooting in manual will serve you best, especially when shooting macro. Your overexposure is most likely due to the fact that in Aperture mode, the camera is exposing for the ambient light, or lack thereof. Therefore, shutter speed is long, and then when the strobe light is added...viola.

Here's a great place to start --> http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-settings
Zig

Postby bvanant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:43 pm

As Zig suggests, shoot in raw (no worries about white balance), and in manual mode. Start at f11 and 1/125 with your strobe power at medium. Adjust strobe up and down from there as needed. Adjust shutter speed to control the illumination of the background.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions