EWA-Marine

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby smb2 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:18 am

I have a friend who is an accomplished nature photographer. He wants to do some surf and tide pool shots but would prefer not to go through the expense of housing his Nikon DSLR cameras. Does anyone have experience with the EWA Marine waterproof "bags". If so any luck using it for "split" shots?
Thanks,
SB
smb2

Postby ragebot » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:47 am

I am just starting out so take this advice with a grain of salt.

I have used EWA (and similar plastic bags with ports) in the past. They work well under some conditions, especially in shallow water or just above the surface of the water.

The problem with EWA like devices is not so much protection of the camera, rather they do not have access to the high quality ports more conventional problems have.

Even with great quality dome ports shooting splits can be a tall order. I am using an 8in Zen dome and at times have been very pleased with my splits; problem is that I am not nearly as consistent shooting splits as I would like to be.

Composition is a real problem, along with exposure and focus. But my experience is that the key is how calm the surface of the water is. My best results have been when there is no wind and the surface is like glass.

My advice would be to read some of the articles here about shooting splits before you bud buys any housing.
ragebot

Return to Underwater Photography Questions