Image stabilization?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby pragitam » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:53 am

Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and new to UW photography.
I want to know if image stabilization is a plus / necessary for UW photography or not?
Considering buying a camera, question is if I should seriously consider IS or not.
Any comments, suggestions, recommendations or opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks
pragitam

Postby bvanant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 pm

Necessary? Not at all. A plus? Sometimes it is very helpful especially for macro shooting in surge and times like that. I have several lenses that use IS and it is noticeable in some aspects but not a reason to buy one camera vs. another for UNDERWATER use. It might be a deciding factor if you are in to shooting little birds with big lenses on land though.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby pragitam » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:04 pm

bvanant wrote:Necessary? Not at all. A plus? Sometimes it is very helpful especially for macro shooting in surge and times like that. I have several lenses that use IS and it is noticeable in some aspects but not a reason to buy one camera vs. another for UNDERWATER use. It might be a deciding factor if you are in to shooting little birds with big lenses on land though.
Bill

Hi Bill, many thanks.
I am a big fan of the Canon PS SX IS series and have found the IS function indispensable for land photography using the zoom.
Didn't have a clue about UW photography.
You comments are a big help.
I am looking at the Sealife DC1200 as an entry level camera for a trip to Bonaire, hoping to explore the world of UW photography.
Based on your remarks, seems it could be a good choice. What do you think? What do you suggest?
Thanks again
pragitam

Return to Underwater Photography Questions