Inon Z240 vs S2000 on Wide Angle

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby jimmytaroh » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi All,

I'm interested in what the difference in output is in practical terms of the Inon Z240 vs D2000 and S2000 and what people's experiences have been. I plan to do a fair amount of WA shooting and have an Olympus PEN setup with a 9-18mm lens. I currently have one S2000 and want to add another strobe, leaning towards the D2000 or Z240.

I've heard feedback that the D2000 is brighter than the S2000 and has better coverage though the guide numbers are the same. I will mainly be shooting in California waters so greenish on a good day is too be expected and am concerned with having enough power to get through the water. :D

Any and all input is appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Jimmy
jimmytaroh

Postby TomR1 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:50 am

The z-240 is a stop brighter and has better coverage
TomR1

Postby cdub » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 am

Jimmy,

In addition to guide number differences, the s2000s have a slightly oblong coverage area, vs the D2000 and Z240 that have round coverage areas. One more thing to consider is if you want to deal with remembering the quirks and adjusting for two diff models/powers of strobe UW vs. using two of the same kind.

I have been shooting with two S2000s with a Canon s90 and a UWL04 wide angle lens, mostly in Cali.

In almost all cases, my s2000s have been more than enough power and coverage for WA, even in murky CA waters. I think you would be fine power wise with any of these. It's just whether or not you want to pay the extra $$ for either of the other models.

That being said, I have actually recently decided to upgrade to z240s so I have the option for future growth should I decide to go to a dSLR with TTL.

If you end up wanting another s2000, let me know as I just put mine up for sale. Good luck with your decision, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. :)

Postby bvanant » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm

For WA, you can never have too much light, especially in our local murk. The Z240 is a great strobe and you can always turn it down for macro work, but remember that a single stop in GN means that you can light something a foot or 18 inches further away, not light up a whole wreck.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions