Please Please help NewB

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby underthesea » Tue May 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Hey all,

Went down this past weekend for the first time with my digital setup.
Apeture was all wrong and I was using a olympus c 8080 with ikelite dual tray and ds50 strobe.
Anyways i thought pics were gonna come out fine but after my dives was sorely disappointed considering i got a couple decent shots in. Downloaded Photoshop CS5 to try and fix them but having trouble and wondering if i can even fix them.
I changed the apeture from 1.7 to 0, which should help but all the pics look like the strobe produced too much light, even tho it was on TTL with a sync cable and camera was set to external flash.
Really hoping i can restore some color to these shots, or future advice is appreciated.

Attached one as an example of what im dealing with-PS all photos are like this

THanks!
Attachments
P1010098.JPG
P1010098.JPG (92.3 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
underthesea

Postby TomR1 » Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Try opening in RAW vene if taken in jpg, reducing exposure and setting the white balance. If you email me a shot @ tomreynolds_ilan@yahoo.com I will try to fix it for you.
TomR1

Postby Brian Mc » Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 pm

What mode are you shooting the camera in? If you are in auto mode or aperture priority try setting in some negative compensation (the +- button on the camera) as it looks like you overexposed the image. Also try and get closer to the subject, your pictures will be clearer. Your camera or strobe may also have an adjustment to dial down the strobe power in ttl (flash compensation). You might also try using the strobe in manual and exposing that way as well by trial and error. After a while it will become second nature. I'm not sure what your aperture range is on your camera but for wide angle you should be in the middle range and macro shots should be towards the higher numerical range. Once you blow out the highlights there really is no recovery possible in post processing.

Brian
Brian Mc

Return to Underwater Photography Questions