Ikelite Autoflash AF35 strobe - the secondary one

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Hintermann » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 am

I ordered a second Ikelite Autoflash AF35 underwater strobe to supplement my first one but the product that has arrived seems to be a replica of the primary one in all respects. Considering that it has a separate product code (4035.1 instead of the 4035 for the primary one), I did not think that it was the case. Yes, I know that they look almost identical but the sensor on the secodary strobe points to the opposite side of the first. But this should not mean that the 'secondary' strobe is simply one where the flash head is twisted around to point in the opposite direction, but it seems to be the case.

The problem with that is the strobe cannot be adequately secured to the dual tray. As other owners know, the Ikelite tray has small grooves in the 'feet' where the strobe's base fits. Both grooves point tp the front away from the diver. With the left (primary) strobe the little screw can be used to secure the base to the tray; but on the other side, the hole in the strobe base points backwards and so securing to the tray is not possible. The only answer is to have a genuine secondary strobe where the base plate is reversed. I have not seen this in any shop - does anyone know if it is even made? Even Ikleite seem uncertain.
Hintermann

Postby Zig » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 pm

According to the Ikelite site http://www.ikelite.com/af35/autoflash.html, what you ordered, 4035.1 is correct, and should include a tray and arm already attached.

If you have any more questions, email or call the guys at Bluewater Photo (sales@bluewaterphotostore.com). They're really knowledgeable, and dive the gear they sell.

Happy diving,
Zig
Zig

Return to Underwater Photography Questions