Dual DS161's not syncing with camera

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby bdavey » Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 pm

I have just got an Ikelite case for my Fuji S5 Pro (Nikon D200 body with Fuji sensor) with dual DS161 strobes. I've set the strobes to TTL, set the housing strobe switch to 161 & given the camera the initial settings of Manual, F8 & 1/60 as recommended by Ikelite, but the strobes are firing too quickly to the point that there is no light in the image at all. I've turned off the slave strobe with the same result, I've changed the dual sync cord for the single with the same result but here's the weird thing. If I have both strobes connected & turned on, then turn off the primary strobe & take a photo the slave fires perfectly. I then have to turn on the primary again, then off to take another photo. I've changed the sync cord around but makes no difference.

Is there something I'm missing or do I have a problem?

Thanks.
bdavey

Postby tswinner » Sat May 15, 2010 7:21 am

Are you using the ike sync cords with a blue band on one end?
Try a TTL test. Put a lens cap on and fire a frame. You should get a full dump on
your strobe. It will take about 2sec to recycle. Open up your f stop point the strobe directly at the lens, fire. You should get a small flash and instant recycle time.
Can you fire the strobes properly in manual?
What flash setting do you have set on the camera?

Let me know and will try and narrow down the problem.

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Return to Underwater Photography Questions