Intova Slave Flash

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Hintermann » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:25 am

I own an Iklelite AF35 strobe flash to go with my Canon S95 and housing. Ideally, I would like a second strobe but cannot afford it at this time. I was looking at the new Intova Slave flash that costs less than a third of the Ikelite and I even have a spare flexi-arm to mount it on the Ike tray. This might not be the ideal option, but will it help to reduce backscatter, sharp shadows etc?
Hintermann

Postby vijayr » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm not really familiar with the Intova strobe, but you may want to make sure the color temp of boths strobes are similar to have even lighting across the image, without it being too warm or cool on one side vs the other. The second strobe can help to reduce sharp shadows and more evenly light the scene, but will not reduce backscatter. Reducing backscatter is more a result of proper strobe positioning, as a poorly positioned second strobe will just increase the amount of backscatter. Once you get familiar with shooting with two strobes, you may find you will want to create lighting to give a little bit of shadow, to keep the image from looking too "flat".

Vijay Raman My Website

vijayr

Postby Hintermann » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Thank you Vijay. I accept that backscatter has to do more with strobe positioning and that might have been my problem before. In the future, I aim to place the main strobe (Ikelite AF35) to the left and slightly higher than the lens, looking in and down; depending on the distance from the object of inerest, I might alter the strobe head's position slightly but the overall orientation would remain the same.

If I do get the Intova, it will be similarly positioned to the right of the camera, again not in the same axis as the lens.

As for colour temperature, both strobes are rated at 5700K, as you can see in the specs below. Please look at them and comment.

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ikel ... /af35.html

http://www.simplyscuba.com/products/Int ... Flash.aspx

I understand about too even lighting making the image look flat and 2-dimensional. I do not aim to use the Intova all the time but only switch it on when I think it might help. Furthermore, there may be instances (coral only shots or stationary marine life) where I might get a chance to shoot both ways - ie with a single strobe and then both and choose the better picture afterwards.

Please let me know what you think.
Hintermann

Postby vijayr » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:19 am

My own personal preference would be to have 2 similar strobes, so I can adjust and control the lighting better. The strobes you are looking at have different guide numbers, so you have to consider if that will make it difficult for you to make quick adjustments and know the light output you will need for each strobe to get the lighting you want. The real deal breaker for me is the recycle time for the Intova of 7-8 seconds, which IMHO is WAY too long. The Ike recycle time is 2.5 seconds. Plus, I trust Ike's reputation for quality and customer service. However, the price is substantially different, so you have to weigh it out if it is worth spending more or not.

Vijay Raman My Website

vijayr

Postby Hintermann » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 pm

All right Mister, you persuaded me. I'll get another Ike AF35, the 'right handed' one. I found a reputable local dealer who has an offer some £60 ( $95) cheaper than the RRP and so I'll get it tomorrow. Buy yourself a drink on me!
Hintermann

Return to Underwater Photography Questions