View topic - Making the best use of a wide-angle lens underwater

Making the best use of a wide-angle lens underwater

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Hintermann » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:09 pm

In the past, I had attached a separate safety lanyard to the waist of my Inon wide-angle lens, giving me the option of detaching and re-attaching the lens underwater without the risk of dropping and losing it in the process. But I sold my old kit and now have the Inon UWL-H100 28LD lens specially made for the Canon S95 & its housing. This Inon lens cannot be secured with a lanyard and so I either have to use it throughout a dive or not attach it at all.

I am now wondering if this limitation is actually a blessing in disguise. I used to use the wide lens exclusively for photographing wrecks and larger pelagics and never for close-up work. But I am beginning to realise that the wide-angle lens can be used to take macro pictures. I would appreciate some tips from knowledgeable folk about that use. Thanks.

Postby James » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Isn't there a caddy for it?

For close focus wide angle, two strobes, get close, usually an upward tilt and I like vertical framing for that sort of thing.

Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04

Return to Underwater Photography Questions