upgrade or stay the same

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby gregor-uk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:41 am

I am currently using the sony NEX 5 camera in a MK housing finally decided to upgrade housing for the camera and have found out that recsea and nauticam have discontinued housings for the NEX 5 but i hopefully can still get NEX 5n housings (waiting to hear) so with this do i upgrade to a 5N body and get a good housing or get another camera

so far i have been happy with the camera underwater just the housing was limited so any advice people out there can give on this or maybe a different camera mirrorless would be great or i may consider upgrading to the canon 650D and ikelite housing or sea and sea.......

Budget would be 2000 dollars

and buying in singapore

yours
Gregor
gregor-uk

Postby bvanant » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 pm

You might look around for used NEX 5 housings. I think there are several out there. A better housing will definitely make your shooting easier but make sure that you have a good strobe as well.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby gregor-uk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:00 pm

I would ebay but i live in bali which adds 100% import tax on anything you buy out of bali so ebay is out lol

but singapore is quite cheap for cameras sort of torn between the sony nex 5r or the nex 6 but both new cameras with no housing yet or if im really good at bartering maybe the nex 7 or may go for either the canon 600d or the 650d all depends on what i can find and which i can get at a good price and of course life span for housings and ports etc etc?????
gregor-uk

Postby bvanant » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Housings and ports and strobes last mostly forever; remember that at the DSLR level for most people the limitation of their photography is not the camera but rather the photographer. A current DSLR will be "obsolete" in two generations (3 years or so) but in 10 years it will still be taking great photographs.
On the NEX side of things, I think the big limitation is the lens selection; right now there is not a good macro solution compared say to the u4/3 stuff.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions