Sea n Sea 110a and Inon Z240

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby ardy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi all - complements of the season to you.

I own a SnS 110a, a great little flash but it does not do TTL on my Olympus E-520 set up with optical cables. I needed a replacement for my old manual YS 50 slave and I have ordered a Inon Z240 which will do TTL with my system.

The questions are:

1. Can I do TTL using the SnS 110a as a slave and if yes how? Inon slave cable etc.

2. What settings do I need to set the camera to to do TTL ie does it need to be in auto flash mode or will it work in manual flash?

This is posted hoping rather than expecting an answer.

regards
ardy

Postby Brian Mc » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 pm

Ardy,

Your E-520 should work fine with a YS110a in ttl via fiber optic. I have the same set up and the ttl works fine, a bit of a tendency to underexpose by about 1/2 a stop but you can compensate for that in post or through the camera's flash compensation menu. I use the camera in manual and set the flash setting to auto, set the strobe to ttl and make sure it is in slave mode. The old 110 strobe did not work very well in ttl but the 110a fixed those problems and seems to work quite well. The ttl works well for macro, not so much for wide angle, depends how large the subject is. I believe S&S indicates that the ttl does not work with Olympus but the optical ttl simply mimics the duration of the camera strobe so should work fine with any camera. Wired ttl is another story and would require an flash converter to match the Olympus protocall. I believe Athena makes a converter but its quite expensive.

Brian
Brian Mc

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:01 am

Hi Ardy, the Z240 works in D-TTL only through optical fiber. As for the 110alpha you use it by setting the power manually. To use it in slave without generating false detections can take a split fiber optic cable like this (example only):

Double optical cable

Greetings
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Return to Underwater Photography Questions