Nikon, Canon, Olympus, or Sony?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Salil Sahani » Tue May 18, 2010 3:03 am

Well It Will Not Be Right of Me to Comment on Cannon or Nikon or any other Brand As I Am a Newbie in this field but from My Personal experience and from what I have heard from Users
The Only thing that Keeps Me defecting from Nikon is Nikon's Built Quality which is Is Far Better than that of Canon Especially Regarding Lenses
Salil S Sahani
Wildlife Photographer Freelance
http://salilsahaniphotography.com
Salil Sahani

Postby seekncritters » Fri May 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Comparing DSLR's that also do HD video, Canon is supposedly better at this point. But if HD video is so important, it's better to get a proper HD camcorder.

It's all about the lenses, so since my husband has Nikon lenses, I'd be getting a Nikon when I am ready to upgrade to DSLR...

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby bvanant » Sat May 22, 2010 3:07 pm

seekncritters wrote:Comparing DSLR's that also do HD video, Canon is supposedly better at this point. But if HD video is so important, it's better to get a proper HD camcorder.

It's all about the lenses, so since my husband has Nikon lenses, I'd be getting a Nikon when I am ready to upgrade to DSLR...

-Dana

Dana:
The reason that DSLRs can do better video is in the sensors. Look at House (the TV show) last Tuesday, shot entirely on a Canon 5D Mark II. If you look at Canon's best HD video camera the chip is 1/3 inch while the DSLR cameras have sensors with 25 times the area. You can use interchangeable lenses and get real DOF control with the DSLR that you can't with a HD camcorder at least one that you and I can afford or even lift.
I agree that it is all about the lenses, but for most folks (with cropped sensors) for wide angle it means Tokina not Canon or Nikon. It also means 100 macro or 60 macro and there is nothing to separate C from N with those lenses either. In any case, for UW shooting it is more about the housing than the camera at this point, most cameras are better than most photographers (unless you are Todd).
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby AlistairMerrifield » Thu May 27, 2010 11:48 pm

It does not matter. It is the brain that sits behind the camera that counts. ;)

However... for the record, I go Canon. Olympus make their own housings, Canon & Nikon don't (which means you have no choice but to go 3rd party....). If I'd known that before I got my first canon, I probably would have gone with Olympus.

A.
AlistairMerrifield

Postby seekncritters » Fri May 28, 2010 12:14 pm

bvanant wrote:
seekncritters wrote:Comparing DSLR's that also do HD video, Canon is supposedly better at this point. But if HD video is so important, it's better to get a proper HD camcorder.

-Dana

Dana:
The reason that DSLRs can do better video is in the sensors. Look at House (the TV show) last Tuesday, shot entirely on a Canon 5D Mark II. If you look at Canon's best HD video camera the chip is 1/3 inch while the DSLR cameras have sensors with 25 times the area. You can use interchangeable lenses and get real DOF control with the DSLR that you can't with a HD camcorder at least one that you and I can afford or even lift.
I agree that it is all about the lenses, but for most folks (with cropped sensors) for wide angle it means Tokina not Canon or Nikon. It also means 100 macro or 60 macro and there is nothing to separate C from N with those lenses either. In any case, for UW shooting it is more about the housing than the camera at this point, most cameras are better than most photographers (unless you are Todd).
Bill

DSLR video: I agree about the better control of DOF with the DSLR, but autofocus capabilities, distortion/warping while panning, and sound (for topside) are some of the issues still to be worked out.

For me it's simple. I don't want to have to go and buy all new lenses, so Nikon would be my choice. If I didn't have access to so many Nikon lenses, I'd strongly consider a Canon full frame sensor camera for sure.

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby bvanant » Fri May 28, 2010 3:13 pm

DSLR video: I agree about the better control of DOF with the DSLR, but autofocus capabilities, distortion/warping while panning, and sound (for topside) are some of the issues still to be worked out.

For me it's simple. I don't want to have to go and buy all new lenses, so Nikon would be my choice. If I didn't have access to so many Nikon lenses, I'd strongly consider a Canon full frame sensor camera for sure.

For topside video, I think that you will find that many TV shows and tons of commercials are being shot with either 5D or 7D cameras because you need DOF control and they typically use very wide angle lenses where autofocus is not really a big worry. As for sound there are tons of microphones you can add. I haven't tried zooming while video shooting so I can't comment. As for UW, when you do decide to go DSLR either will work fine. But you might ask Todd Winner, he is just about ready to jump from Nikon to Canon.

Bill

bvanant

Postby Bart » Sat May 29, 2010 1:30 pm

I'm in the Canon camp. For both underwater as on land.
I use a G11 in the water and further use a Eos 20D (and occasionally my analog Eos33)

Bart
Bart

Postby AndyT » Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 am

I am using an Oly E-3 - came from a 5060 and 7070.
Safe Diving
Andy

Oly E-3, Nexus, 8mm, 7-14mm, 12-60mm, 35mm, 50mm, 2 x z240's
AndyT

Postby bvanant » Sun May 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Salil Sahani wrote:Ok Just Read the White Balance Article Again So Regarding Ambient Light We Take Photos of a Neutral Object Mostly Dive Slate And then Can Adjust the WB Later in Photoshop

But Even if We are Shooting in RAW Does it Afftect the Overall Photo Quality if We Correct the Whitebalance afterwards in Photoshop ?

In general, setting the white balance post capture (raw) will not be an issue. The white balance is simply an offset for each R,G,B pixel to set an overall gain that makes white look white. Doing it in advance or later makes no difference.
Bill

bvanant

Postby Salil Sahani » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:40 am

Thankyou Bill
Salil S Sahani
Wildlife Photographer Freelance
http://salilsahaniphotography.com
Salil Sahani

Previous