Nikon, Canon, Olympus, or Sony?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby scottg » Fri May 14, 2010 4:50 pm

What camp are you in? :)

Let us know. I caught a bad case of NAS a couple of years ago myself.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby smb2 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 pm

To this day, my most favorite camera was a Nikon F5. It just fit perfectly in your hands
with all necessary controls intuitively in reach.
Makes a nice paperweight now.
Enjoy my D2x and "just looking" at the D3s, but the D4 will be nice!!!
smb2

Postby bvanant » Sat May 15, 2010 10:20 am

Unlike Scott our venerable leader, I am in the Canon camp, mostly because I have lots of Canon Lenses (and because Canon is clearly better :lol: ). In the DSLR world there are probably no pictures you can take with a Canon that you can't take with a Nikon or an Olympus or a Sony or anything else. In the P&S world a lot more depends on your housing choices, some let you do things easily that other housings make you push many buttons for. In general to be a well rounded UW photographer you need some macro capability, some wide angle capability and some in-between (like fish portrait capability). For wide angle on cropped sensor DSLRs the most prevalent lens right now appears to be the Tokina 10-17 and it comes in both Canon and Nikon mounts but not AFAIK in Olympus or Sony. For all DSLR cameras there are good 1:1 macro choices and all will allow you to add diopters and teleconverters to do super macro. Other lens choices are pretty much users choice but as I said before there are probably no scenes that you can't capture well with any of the cameras.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Salil Sahani » Sat May 15, 2010 12:38 pm

Been Using Nikon All The Time

Like the Results what I Get

By The Way Can I Ask a Question Regarding D300 Settings In Relation for UW Photography In This Discussion Thread ?
Salil S Sahani
Wildlife Photographer Freelance
http://salilsahaniphotography.com
Salil Sahani

Postby bvanant » Sun May 16, 2010 12:36 pm

Of course go ahead, what do you need to know about.
Bill

bvanant

Postby Salil Sahani » Mon May 17, 2010 2:00 am

Thankyou

Well Somewhere Here while going through Various Articles I Read that We need to set the K Value according to the Strobe Value

So Say On Nikon D300 I Set the Camera Via the Mode Button to Manual Set the Aperture and The Speed and Set the the K Value with the Strobe value The White Balance will be Automatic ?

I Am Confused about It Especially the White Balance Setting

If We are doing Photography in Ambient Light Then We have to set the WB on Cloudy Right ?

Also What do You Recommend Regarding D300 about ISO Value How High can We go Without Getting Noise Cause I have Heard and Actually Seen that D300 has a Noise Problem ?

Will ISO 320 Do Or Should I Keep it to 250 ?
Last edited by Salil Sahani on Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salil S Sahani
Salil Sahani

Postby Salil Sahani » Mon May 17, 2010 9:40 am

Ok Just Read the White Balance Article Again So Regarding Ambient Light We Take Photos of a Neutral Object Mostly Dive Slate And then Can Adjust the WB Later in Photoshop

But Even if We are Shooting in RAW Does it Afftect the Overall Photo Quality if We Correct the Whitebalance afterwards in Photoshop ?
Salil S Sahani
Salil Sahani

Postby CompuDude » Mon May 17, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm firmly in the Canon camp when it comes to Point & Shoot cameras... and NOT a fan of Nikon's P&S camera. But I'm in the Nikon camp when it comes to DSLRs, and while I don't have anything against Canon DSLRs, I'm also highly ambivalent about them for some reason.

Probably a contact high case of NAS I caught from Scott. ;) Plus my wife owns a D70 so we already have lenses, and I have some experience with her camera.

On the bright side, it looks like my wife may be getting me a D90 for our anniversary, which puts me even more squarely in the Nikon camp!
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby bvanant » Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 pm

CompuDude wrote:I'm firmly in the Canon camp when it comes to Point & Shoot cameras... and NOT a fan of Nikon's P&S camera. But I'm in the Nikon camp when it comes to DSLRs, and while I don't have anything against Canon DSLRs, I'm also highly ambivalent about them for some reason.

Probably a contact high case of NAS I caught from Scott. ;) Plus my wife owns a D70 so we already have lenses, and I have some experience with her camera.

On the bright side, it looks like my wife may be getting me a D90 for our anniversary, which puts me even more squarely in the Nikon camp!

Kalani:
What don't you like or actively dislike about the Canon DSLR (except that fact that they are better? ;) ) In my view, the two brands are converging quite quickly but given Canon's size I think they have the bandwidth to be much more innovative. In fact the Nikon DSLR's should have a big sticker that says powered by Sony since Nikon has apparently tied their SLR future to Sony's ability to make sensors. One thing I really like more about Nikon is that even the ancient lenses fit on the cameras and for example the 60 macro can be used with a teleconverter but no such thing for the Canon ef-s lens

Bill

bvanant

Postby CompuDude » Mon May 17, 2010 9:50 pm

bvanant wrote:Kalani:
What don't you like or actively dislike about the Canon DSLR (except that fact that they are better? ;) ) In my view, the two brands are converging quite quickly but given Canon's size I think they have the bandwidth to be much more innovative. In fact the Nikon DSLR's should have a big sticker that says powered by Sony since Nikon has apparently tied their SLR future to Sony's ability to make sensors. One thing I really like more about Nikon is that even the ancient lenses fit on the cameras and for example the 60 macro can be used with a teleconverter but no such thing for the Canon ef-s lens

Wish I could articulate it. Everything I've read online (which, I'm sure you know, is quite a bit) leads me to say "oh, how nice" with the Canon and "Sweet!" with the Nikon. The features offered just tickle me better with the Nikons, I guess.

The fact that my wife is a diehard Nikon user (photography minor in college) and has had a series of Nikons and will NEVER move over to Canon... makes it kinda silly to try to main two completely separate sets of lenses, flashes, etc., so sticking with Nikon just makes sense to me.

Naturally, there are a few things I like about Canon DSLRs (their video capabilities kick Nikon's ass), but this is still likely to remain a Nikon household for the foreseeable future. :)
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Next

Return to Underwater Photography Questions