7d ikelite underwater housing

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby lemondiver » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi - Just got my first real camera 7D with ikelite underwater housing. I'm having trouble with the 4 clips that hold the domeport on. The instructions say that they should click into place without doing anything else but I have to use a screwdriver to tighten them down or they don't snug up. The port will turn without leaking but when I'm carrying it the port actually thuds around. When I called ikelite they told me that it will be loose (doesn't really sound right to me) and that the water pressure will hold it on. I'm snorkeling next week not diving and afraid it will leak. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanx so much.
lemondiver

Postby smb2 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:35 am

For starters, I have never used an Ikelite housing.
However most SLR housing ports are a little loose on the surface. They all rely on the O ring seal
under pressure. That's why you always hear the old adage that the greatest risk of flooding is in the rinse tank or the first ten feet.
IMHO you should assemble your housing and take it on a dive before adding the camera.
A pressure test to 30-50 feet is always a good idea with a new housing regardless of what the factory has done. (So I would certainly test it snorkeling without the camera if you are not diving, and still pressure test it when you get back underwater.)
I just added new flash bulkheads to my well used housing but still took it to 50 feet before adding the camera.
Finally, get flood insurance!
smb2

Return to Underwater Photography Questions