G11 Newbie - Some questions about the settings

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby The.Cancerian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:27 am

Good evening / morning.
I am a newbie to Canon G11, I used to use my friends cameras while diving (Sony Cybershots) but not anymore.

I got the Canon G11 along with the WP-DC34 housing for it. As I said earlier, I have no experience with Canon cameras.
At first, I changed little simple settings like setting the red detection option to on, setting the time, etc.

I would like to know for underwater, should I just use the Underwater option in the camera ort it’s better to set my own settings manually?

If manually, what are the best settings for underwater?
If it differs or what I mean to say can’t always be the same settings, then what settings should I change and based on what?

I got confused reading the manual as I felt that there are a lot of things that I don’t understand.

Help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
:)
The.Cancerian

Postby James » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:19 am

I am into tough love--you need to read and understand the manual, sorry.

Try these "settings" for a start:

Red Eye--OFF
Safety Focus--OFF
Safety Exposure--OFF
Focus Assist Light--OFF
RAW--OFF (for now)

Put camera in Av mode
Select a middle f stop, f5.6
Select exposure compensation to minus 1 stop
Select WB to either the cloud or fish symbol except in the most shallow, bright conditions, the use the sun symbol or Auto

For flash photography, close ups, portraits and "fish" pics, turn the camera flash to -ON- or forced. For shots without flash (reef scenics), turn the flash to -OFF-, shoot, review the LCD, adjust f stop and exposure compensation plus or minus 2 stops (dial on G11, rh top I think).

Here is something, flash photography, even with large external strobes is good for about 5 feet maximum, anything you are shooting beyond about 2 to 3 feet with the built in flash, might as well turn it off and go for the shot without flash.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby Bart » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:16 pm

I got a lot of good ideas from Scott's article:

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/canon ... r-settings (I had a printed copy with me on my trip to egypt two weeks ago)

what I do as well is check the exif settings of picturs I like on flickr.

Good luck, Bart
Bart

Postby scottg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:37 pm

looks like Bart beat me to the punch :)

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Return to Underwater Photography Questions