Sigma 150mm macro versus Nikkor 105mm Macro

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby wommby » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:16 pm

Hello,

Can anyone tell me which would be the best lens here. I was considering the sigma 150mm macro but not sure if the longer working distance is better for underwater or not. Could anyone please give me some advice on what would be better here and why?

Thanks - wommby
wommby

Postby scottg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:33 pm

wommby, which camera will you be using?

Most people will use the 60mm or 105mm for macro, the 150mm is considered a specialty lens for very skittish critters. You generally don't want that much working distance.

Also, take a look at this page on macro lenses:
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/macro-lenses

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby wommby » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi Scott,

I will be using a d700. Thanks for the info.

Deb
wommby

Postby Vizart » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi Deb, what is the intended subject, the 150mm is a lot of lens in many situations, granted on the FX it is similar to the 105mm on DX coverage, but still, you will need cleaner water with the 150mm, Up here in Canada, I have to say that this lens has few followers due to the soup we dive in, but I can surely see this lens being worked in a Bonaire or Lembeh type of environment, on the minus the AF on that lens is not the best or fastest of the industry, so I would confirm that a manual focus gear is supported by your housing manufacturer, also a a good quality focus light is going to make your life easier with this lens (there is another thread on that subject in this section). I use one of the Sola 600 that just came out recently, I have no commercial ties to them, so I can honestly say, I'm blown away, it's not inexpensive by all mean, but calculating the number of el cheapo lights I have bought in the past, it does come off as cheaper if you buy good stuff right off the bat :-)
Jean Bruneau, Aquatica Technical Adviser
3025 De Baene
Montreal, Quebec
Canada, H4S 1K8

jean@aquatica.ca

514-737-9481
Vizart

Postby wommby » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Jean,

thanks for your reply. No intended subject, just was thinking I would get good use topside with the 150mm photography insects etc. Wanted confirmation from more experienced photographers whether or not the working distance was too much for underwater. I can see that it would be a lot wiser for me to go with the 105mm on the d700.

As far a a focus light goes, my husband has just purchased a whole new video rig and has given me one of his nocturnals to use as a focus light for night dives etc. Hopefully this will work OK.

Thanks again for you reply. I do take all information onboard.

Do you ever get warmer diving in Summer in Canada. We get up 22 degrees here in Victoria - Australia in Summer and it is really quite lovely.

Deb
wommby

Postby Vizart » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:11 am

wommby wrote:Hi Jean,

Do you ever get warmer diving in Summer in Canada. We get up 22 degrees here in Victoria - Australia in Summer and it is really quite lovely.

Deb

No need to be cruel Deb :lol: , The freshwater part of the St Lawrence river is diveable in 5mm in the summer, it is quite a popular diving area with +/- 350 wrecks within 1 to 6 hours drive of Montreal, visibillity is not the greatest, so Fisheye is pretty much the standard lens for shooting, there is not a lot to shoot in macro in the fresh water part, the salty portion in the gulf can easily get +/- 4 celsius water temperature in the middle of the summer, this is due to an artic current, which incidentaly also supply us with Belugas, Greenland Sharks and Hypothermia :cry: so it's totally dry suit (tons of pleasure donning a dry suit in stiffling heat then getting your a#$ frozen right after) but the bottom is quite lush in this area, again the visibillity is somewhat restrictive which is why around there we shoot with the 60mm a lot (and in some case even with the Tokina 35mm Macro)
3025 De Baene
Montreal, Quebec
Canada, H4S 1K8

jean@aquatica.ca

514-737-9481
Vizart

Postby bvanant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:13 pm

wommby wrote:Hello,

Can anyone tell me which would be the best lens here. I was considering the sigma 150mm macro but not sure if the longer working distance is better for underwater or not. Could anyone please give me some advice on what would be better here and why?

Thanks - wommby

For general work I think the 105 is by far the better lens, lots of working distance if you need it and a very nice lens. I use the 150 but only with a diopter on front for times when I want to go bigger than 1:1 since diopters work better on longer focal length lenses. Otherwise you will need ginormous strobes to make things work at 1:1.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby wommby » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Hi, thanks to everyone for their information.

Have just worked out that it looks like I will be able to use the Nikon 60mm macro
behind the dome port I have. This will have to do me for now.

Will look forward to getting a 105mm lens probably next year.

Deb
wommby

Postby Vizart » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:00 am

Just be careful of your working distance, it is all too easy to scratch a dome when working in macro. keep this in the back of your mind. ;)
3025 De Baene
Montreal, Quebec
Canada, H4S 1K8

jean@aquatica.ca

514-737-9481
Vizart

Postby scottg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:31 pm

I enjoy shooting my 60mm macro behind the dome port often. Like Jean says, try to focus on shooting soft subjects that won't scratch the port if you get too close :)

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Return to Underwater Photography Questions