Printing....

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Tracy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello Everyone,
As a complete newb to this, and while I'm still getting my head around so much of the post-processing stuff, I have a problem which I'm worried I may be alone in.
My images don't match my prints!

Now I have read heaps, and I suppose my first questions are:
- howcome my non-UW pics can print out relatively ok, but not my UW ones?
- I understand the concept of monitor calibration, but do ALL of you do it?
- should I purchase a simple electronic calibrator or should I persevere with a print next to my screen?
- and just so I understand things, am I right in presuming that whatever colours etc are captured on my camera uw, those are all "correct"? You see, all I want is to print out EXACTLY what I see on my screen with very little post-processing....

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
Tracy

Postby Karl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 am

How are you doing your printing - is it on your own printer or are you taking to a shop?

If doing it on your own printer are your settings right?

If taking to a printer they can very dramaticaly in quality as well. It might pay to take them to a pro print shop where they can view your images on screen first with calibrated screens and printers and give you some advice. Places like Rabbit Photo and your KMart / BigW photoo expresses don't do that.

BTW I don't have my screen calibrated but I take mine to a pro printer.

Karl
Karl

Postby Tracy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:57 am

Hey Karl,
I think your suggestion of talking to a professional printing place is an excellent idea to try and make sense of it all!
Thanks!
Tracy

Postby CompuDude » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 pm

For $50 or so you buy a calibration device for your screen, which should help you get more consistent output. Note that for truly consistent end-to-end performance, however, you'll need a printer profile for your output device (printer) as well. And then you'll need to use a color spectrum in your photos and monitor that is within the gamut the printer is capable of... most monitors (and cameras) are easily capable of using colors that few printers can actually output.

Color management is a headache and a half. But it definitely starts with having a properly calibrated monitor.
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby bvanant » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Tracy wrote:Hello Everyone,
As a complete newb to this, and while I'm still getting my head around so much of the post-processing stuff, I have a problem which I'm worried I may be alone in.
My images don't match my prints!

Now I have read heaps, and I suppose my first questions are:
- howcome my non-UW pics can print out relatively ok, but not my UW ones?
- I understand the concept of monitor calibration, but do ALL of you do it?
- should I purchase a simple electronic calibrator or should I persevere with a print next to my screen?
- and just so I understand things, am I right in presuming that whatever colours etc are captured on my camera uw, those are all "correct"? You see, all I want is to print out EXACTLY what I see on my screen with very little post-processing....

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

There are several questions imbedded in your post.
First, yes we all (or most of us) calibrate our monitors. I use a Eye2 calibration spyder and its software. Very simple and very very good.
Next you need to have the proper calibration of your printer. That means you need to use the right ink and the right paper and the right paper profile for your printer.

So: What printer are you using, what paper, what ink and what software. For a simple experiment, send one of your pictures to your local 1 hour photo place using their profiles and their software and see if it is good i.e. matches your screen then it is your printer that is a problem.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Tracy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:18 pm

Hey Bill,
Thanks for that.
I received my Spyder this weekend and am about to start fiddling with a lot more information than I had a few weeks ago!
Good to know people are calibrating their monitors; was worrying I was the only one....
Cheers!
Tracy

Postby bvanant » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Tracy wrote:Hey Bill,
Thanks for that.
I received my Spyder this weekend and am about to start fiddling with a lot more information than I had a few weeks ago!
Good to know people are calibrating their monitors; was worrying I was the only one....
Cheers!

Once your monitor is calibrated then the real fun begins. Let me know once the monitor is calibrated then we can walk through the steps to get your prints looking like the monitor.

Bill

bvanant

Postby Tracy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:28 pm

Bill You Beauty!
You have my undivided attention....
I have created an icc profile and strangely enough the colours aren't too different... :?
Yes, now for printing.
I'm using Paint Shop Pro (in my opinion it can do the same as PhotoShop and I don't want to learn yet another program...), and I believe I have to tell my printer to let the software (PSP) control how it prints?
I have an HP5550DN colour laser printer and I have checked I have the latest drivers.
I also downloaded a few colour files but not sure what to do with them if anything; I think the colour cartridges are ok.

Initially I got a printing lab to print some pics and their colour was TERRIBLE!!
I'm not sure I can ask them to use different profiles...
Paper? I have an array of various types but I'm not fussy about that type of quality - yet.
I'm not too concerned at how bad my actual digital image is in terms of being a tad too dark or too blue etc, (I'll fiddle with all that later...) all I would like is to have the print come out EXACTLY as it appears on my newly calibrated monitor.

Am in the process of confusing my pc and my printer right now!
Boy, you need a degree for this stuff!
Tracy

Postby scubastu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi Tracy,

I do a lot of colour printing, now that you've got your monitor calibrated and you are happy with your files, getting the output to match what you see on screen gets tricky. I've never printed much on a colour laser, and the ones that I did do didn't come out all that great. Mainly because there are no real paper profiles for a colour laser, most profiles are for inkjet based systems. You may want to see if you can get a custom paper profile made for your laser printer/paper combo. Remember each time you change something (i.e. paper, toner supplier if you use a 3rd party refill) you'll need a new profile.

A fellow who really knows his stuff on paper profiles is Eric Chan, who works at Adobe and does provide a custom paper profiling service. http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/ph ... files.html

If anyone can help you, he can.

cheers

Stu
Stewart L. Sy
SLS Photography Ltd
www.stewartsy.com
Custom Photographic Solutions, Guided UW Photo Tours of the Philippines
scubastu

Postby bvanant » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:09 pm

According to HP, the printer is capable of using ICC profiles. You can get the profile here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... lj-30730-1

I don't use paintshop so I am unclear on how to use their profiles but typically you install the profile (in the library if you have a mac) and tell PSP to control the printing not the printer.

If you continue to have problems let us know.
Bill

bvanant

Next

Return to Underwater Photography Questions