New to Underwater Photography - Canon 5dmk2 questions

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby gargamel1975 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 am

Hello!

Great website! It seems hard to find a lot of good info on underwater shooting... I'm just getting padi certified, and have a trip planned to the Red Sea in a couple weeks.

Just wondering what you think of these underwater bags? I have a 5dmk2 and was thinking about getting this bag Ewa-marine U-BXP... Is it safe, has anyone used them?

I have the 100mm 2.8 L lens - was thinking about using that for my primary underwater lens... It seems if I get a bag I need to decide what lens I'm going to use (dif bag for each lens) - I also have a 24-105 L - I can see how using the 100mm will limit me getting wide shots - In normal above water photography you can just step back to get more into frame, but underwater I assume the further away you go the loss of light is pretty dramatic?
The 100mm is recommended on this site, wondering if that is just for macro - or for all around use? I hesitate to use the 24-105 L because it's f4...

Thanks a lot :)
gargamel1975

Postby tswinner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 am

Welcome to the forums,

You have a great camera for UWP do yourself a favor and don't get an Ewa bag.
They are really designed as splash protection. Only work at a very shallow depth. No external strobe.
A housing will cost you a lot more but you will be much happier in the end.
Many of the UW camera stores rent housings / strobes. That may be the way to go for your trip. The 105 is for macro. Your 24-105 is not really wide enough for big wide shots but would probably work good for fish portraits.

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby gargamel1975 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 am

Maybe I will wait and save up until I can get a proper housing...

It's a shame to have this camera and not be able to use it underwater without dropping over 1,000 pounds!

The other option is to just buy some little camera made for underwater photography - like a canon d10. I imagine I would always just be thinking I wish I was using my 5dmk2 tho!

Thanks for the info!

mike-b
gargamel1975

Postby gargamel1975 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 am

Forgot to mention - I've tried finding a rental place in London, and no luck...

The store I know of that sells the equipment http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ said it's too much of a liability to rent.

mike-b
gargamel1975

Return to Underwater Photography Questions