REALLY at the beginning - compact or dSLR?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Leejnd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Okay well I'm feeling kinda stupid about the money question...I honestly had no clue where to even begin. :oops: This whole topic is kind of daunting for a noobie. But I'm a quick learner, and like I said, I'm willing to spend more if that's what getting into this hobby will take. I just didn't want to arm myself with thousands of dollars of high-tech equipment that I wouldn't even be able to take advantage of, given my noob-ness.

Anyway, after investing many more hours over the past few days wading through pages upon pages of information, I went ahead and purchased a Canon G9 camera, and WP-DC21 kit. They'll be here in a few days. Now I'm sorting through reams of information on strobes, but to be honest I'm a bit lost.

One option that seems to be highly recommended is the Inon S2000, but at $435 that's a bit of an ouch, especially if I need to buy a bracket or something else to go along with it. So that's my question...what else do I need? And can I do okay with only one strobe? I really can't afford two right now.

Or can someone recommend a less expensive option that would give me reasonable results at the stage I'm at? Is it really worth the money for that strobe? I'll bite the bullet and buy it if it's really worth it.

Again, apologies for all the noob questions - hey everyone has to start somewhere, right?

LeeAnne
Leejnd

Postby cyberon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:21 am

The Inon S2000 is a great match for the Canon G series. The build quality is good and you can't go wrong with that. Another item to consider is the fibre optic cable. If Inon's stuff is expensive, you can get the 10bar cable, it works great and cost about a third of the same from Inon.
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Postby Leejnd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Okay, so I've decided to go with the Inon S-2000. Now I realize that plunging into this topic has and will offer me many fun opportunities to publicly humiliate myself by asking completely boneheaded questions, and it seems I exercised one of those opportunities in my previous post - DUH. Obviously I need arms/trays/adapters and all kinds of other stuff to sink my paycheck into.

I have a couple of quotes, and my question now is...do I go with the whiz-bang super-duper stuff that costs lots more, or do I go with the less expensive but presumably lower quality stuff?

Here are the two quotes:

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe -- 469.00
Inon Optical D Cable (43 cm/L Type) -- 79.00
Fisheye Compact Digicam Tray, Handle and Flex (Loc-line) Arm -- 119.00

Total 667.00

OR:

Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe -- 449.00
Inon Optical D Cable (43 cm/L Type) -- 79.00
ULCS DB-05 5" Double Ball Arm 2@ 47.95 -- 95.90
ULCS AC-CSF Clamp, New Style w/ 15° Lateral Movement 3@ 29.95 -- 89.85
ULCS AD-IN Adapter for Inon Z-series, D-series and S-Series Stro -- 19.95
ULCS TR-D Digital Tray -- 29.95
ULCS TR-DHB Padded Handle w/ Ball for Digital Tray -- 49.95

Total 813.60

Advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

LeeAnne
Leejnd

Postby tswinner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi LeeAnne,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry I can't help more on the compact question but I've always been an SLR shooter.
The ULCS clamps and arms are great. I'm not a big fan of the loc-line arms.
What island are you headed to on the 5th?

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby Leejnd » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi Todd, thanks for the welcome. I've gotten a lot of great advice from here and other various sources, and I've decided to go with the Ultralight arms. I'm told that the arms/clamps are not the place to skrimp.

On the 5th we're taking our 36-ft sailboat out to Santa Cruz Island in the northern Channel Islands. We're planning on circumnavigating the island over 6 nights, stopping in a different anchorage every night. We dive out there a lot, usually on our local dive boats, so we know many of the best dive sites out there. Hopefully the conditions will permit us to dive at all! You never know out there.

LeeAnne
Leejnd

Postby cyberon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 am

Second quote is fine. First quote seems to be missing a Inon Z joint.
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Postby Karl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Hi LeeAnne,

Welcome to the world of underwater photography (aka the endless money pit). You will get heaps of advise and opinions on forums like this (and others) but in the end you will need to decide what suits you.

For example I noticed that you mentioned loc-line arms in an earlier post, I currently have a Sea & Sea DX-1G with twin YS27 strobes and I moved from ULCS arms and clamps to using loc-line arms and aboslutely love them.

In the water there is no issue with weight of the strobes and they stay in the position they were placed. The best thing I like about them is that they are quick to position - I can do this with one hand, no need to undo clamps or to tighten them so that I always have a firm grip on the camera. Also you can position the strobes into any position you want.

The best thing to do is to see if you can hire or borrow a set and see how they go - they may not suit you but in the end you may (like me) actually love them.

Karl
Karl

Postby chokdeekap » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:32 am

when i first got into UF i bought sea and sea compact with housing tray arm and one strobe, which was fine for a while but i knew in my hart i was missing something so i upgraded to DLSR, in hindsight i wish i had just gone for the DSLR option from day one it would have saved me money in the long run.
just my 2 pence worth
Just living my life in the eternal summer
chokdeekap

Previous

Return to Underwater Photography Questions