Why underexposed?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby John H. Moore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:42 pm

An update:

Got out this morning... same setup, same lens, same strobes... in the hopes of finding more fried egg jellyfish. Only found one, and it was 10+ feet off the bottom and heading upward... in vis that wasn't much more than that... and the water was pretty hazy. Had real difficulty getting the camera to lock focus without having my buddy shine his high-power LED light on it -- my focus light wasn't enough at distance in murky water.

As I wasn't willing to follow the jelly upwards in bad vis (and risk rocketing myself to the surface!), and given focusing problems, I only got off three shots. If only I could find a couple of them closer to the bottom in clear water, I could play some with the settings and see what I need to do!

Anyway... here's f/5.6 at 1/160th, ISO 200. Shot from somewhere in 5-8 foot range, I'd guess. So opening the lens up a bunch did help.

Oh, and I re-confirmed that fried egg jellyfish tentacles? strands? filaments? ... the long thin white things! ... across the lips hurts!

======
John H. Moore
San Diego, California, USA
Nikon D200, Sea & Sea housing, Dual YS-110 strobes with TTL III converter
John H. Moore

Postby smb2 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 am

So it can be done with the 60mm!
However in the absence of a wide angle lens, I still would have been tempted to
do some macro shots of the innards of the jelly. Provided you can tolerate the stings
in your effort to get closer.
smb2

Postby Critternut » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:11 am

John-
great to see you here....

Beautiful photos, nice lighting, heavy contrast. The Nikon is a bit tough for the AF to get a good bight in low light. Not sure what modeling light your using, i prefer the Fantasea 44. They are a bit hard to find these days.

Following the jelly up and into the water column is a great way to see them at they're best, pumping and undulating through the water, stretching out, occasionally with Medusa fish or other hitchhikers.

Personally, i steer away from using TTL as it tends to work too well for me. I like some shadow, particularly shooting at a shallow F-stop. With subjects as detailed and ornate as a jelly i need shadow to show off every nook and cranny. Occasionally switching it up to a single strobe, or using different strengths on each strobe. Jellys can be easy to blow out overexposing the highlights.
http://saltwaterphoto.com/blog.php?gid=106

You did a great job not picking up too much backscatter either, ...Looking forward to seeing more pics!
Mike Bartick~Critternut
www.saltwaterphoto.com
Critternut

Previous

Return to Underwater Photography Questions