WA one strobe position

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Vladimir_VRO » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:38 am

There is one question with no answer in this site. Which strobe position is best for WA if you have only 1 strobe.
I've just bought 1 S&S YS-110a and tryed it first time in nearest flooded granite open-cast.
First I've tryed it with left side positiom angeled little bit outside (just like in case with tow strobes)
There is result. Nothin special just training shoot. Visibility was around 2-3m (I have WA equiv. 27mm in my OLY SP-560)
So left side little bit overexposed as for me.
So Now I'm going to try strobe abowe lense port as high as possible angeled UP to prewent backscatter. Am I right that in case one strobe it tha best to have strobe above lense port for wide angle?
Vladimir_VRO

Postby James » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 am

Well, the widest one you can find I suppose. I have had decent luck with a single D2000 and diffuser for close focus wide angle. One strobe will light a single subject well like this also and let the perimeter go dark:

Single D2000, lot's of ambient light:

or like this:

and:

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby scottg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:37 pm

hey Vlad, it really depends. With one strobe for wide-angle I'll usually have it either off to one side, or over the top, depending on where the main subject is in the frame.

If the visibility is low and you need to light the entire photo, that can be difficult, I would have the single strobe over the top.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Return to Underwater Photography Questions