new equipment's dilemma

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby oceanmeddiver » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:09 am

Hi, might I ask your opinion on my next buy?
I’m a diver , shooting UW pictures since 3 years with a Sony compact camera 5 mpx. I planned to buy an housing for my Nikon 90 and all the set for macro (I already have a Nikon 60 mm macro). Unfortunately I had to take back my initial decision and I need to move to a less expensive solution. I’m thinking to buy a better compact camera with a serious housing and buy two INON z240 type 4 strobes… that apparently will help me to save money. Because I would like to buy a camera with a set of wet lenses (including macro) I scroll the web and I found the Sea&Sea Dx-2G and others that might allow me to save some bucks. What do you recommend me to buy in order to get photos, as much as possible, closer to a DSLR one?
I’m not a pro but I would like to improve my self.

please help me
oceandiver
oceanmeddiver

Postby James » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 pm

You essentially have three choices:

1. Sea and Sea DX2

2. Canon G10/G11 in FIX housing

3. Canon S90 in FIX housing.

4. Olympus ELP-1 with Olympus housing.

There are a few others out there with lesser known housings like the Panasonic GF-1 and Ikelite is supposedly going to offer a housing for the Oly ELP-1 also.

Why did I say three choices and then list four? Well, choice 4 does not support wide angle photography and therefore IMO it is an incomplete solution.

I went with option 3.

Why Z240s instead of D2000s?

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby scottg » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 pm

I think you are making a good choice with the Z240's.

You'll want to look at getting a Canon S90, G9,G10,G11, Sea & Sea 2x-1G, Fuji E900 or a Panasonic Lumix Lx3 with wide-angle and macro wet lenses.

Then you'll be able to take some pretty nice photos.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby oceanmeddiver » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm

James wrote:You essentially have three choices:

1. Sea and Sea DX2

2. Canon G10/G11 in FIX housing

3. Canon S90 in FIX housing.

4. Olympus ELP-1 with Olympus housing.

There are a few others out there with lesser known housings like the Panasonic GF-1 and Ikelite is supposedly going to offer a housing for the Oly ELP-1 also.

Why did I say three choices and then list four? Well, choice 4 does not support wide angle photography and therefore IMO it is an incomplete solution.

I went with option 3.

Why Z240s instead of D2000s?

James

Thanks ... I thought to the 3 ones too but , apparently macro function is only advertise by the nr 1????
how nr 3 work in micro?
cheers
oceandiver
oceanmeddiver

Return to Underwater Photography Questions