Olympus E-PL3 in the Olympus PT-EP05L PEN Underwater Housing

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby benbill » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:04 pm

I am a newbie, having only used a Sealife DC 1200 Elite on about 20 dives, but I am looking for a camera set up that will allow me to take better and brighter images. Is anyone shooting the Olympus E-PL3 in the Olympus PT-EP05L PEN Underwater Housing with strobe(s)? I would really appreciate reading your opinions on that set-up. Thank you.

Ben
benbill

Postby KelnKelp » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi Ben! I can totally help you out, I shoot the Olympus cameras and they are great. The EPL3 is a great choice, or you can also look at the E-PM1, both are the same cameras on the inside, the EPL3 just has a few extra bells and whistles than the E-PM1.

Differences: EPL3 has a mode dial on top, E-PM1 is menu driven for modes. EPL3 has a tiltable LCD, the E-PM1 does not (but you wouldn't use that underwater).

Both have good housings from Olympus that are easy to use and durable. The mirrorless cameras will definitely give you higher quality images and really be able to control your settings to gain brighter photos. I currently have an older E-PL1 (the predecessor to both these cameras). I've also had a chance to test both of these underwater. The best improvement is the really fast focus speed, especially when used in conjunction with a focus light.

Here's a link some photos taken with the EPM1: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 962&type=3

Also there is a good video on the E-PM1 housing page: http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/olym ... sing-e-pm1 (most of the features also are the same on the E-PL3).

Hope this is helpful! -Kelli
KelnKelp

Postby MVL_72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Ben.
I have the opportunity to use both options often and recently went out to Malta for a week of testing the hole range of Olympus housings.
quality wise both cameras are identical the main difference is the way you operate them. As Kelli said the EPM1 si menu driven and the EPL3 is dial operated.
I would go for the EPL3 for a very simple reason. Out of the box the PT-EP05L housing has a 67mm thread on the port. This in combination with the Olympus 14-42 kit lens will give you the option of using wet lenses.
there is an excellent review of the EPL3 system that a friend of mine posted on his site.
You can find it following this link:
http://www.deepshots.co.uk/2011/12/revi ... l3-camera/
As for strobes, you can use any unit triggered by a fibre optic cable. I do prefer Inon strobes because their reliability, power output and weight. they also offer probably the best slave ttl system in the market.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Mario
MVL_72

Return to Underwater Photography Questions