Olympus PT-EP08 housing for E-M5

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Guitarfish » Sun May 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I started looking into micro 4/3 cameras a while ago, and have been following the story around the new E-M5, which seems to be getting rave reviews for topside.  Some new info has also just appeared about the Olympus housing:  http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/pen-camera_pen_21693_accessory_pt-ep08_25870.htm

They have also published a system chart: http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/images/PT-EP08_E-M5_underwater_system_chart.pdf

Anyone care to speculate as to whether this will be any good? One concern for me -  the specs say 'two optical fibre connectors' but is there really room for the 'add-on' flash in there? It isn't shown on the 'system chart'...  (I definitely would want to use an optical connection to my existing strobe). Any second opinions?

Do you think it is likely that other manufacturers will produce housings?

I know more info will trickle out in time but I'm traveling overseas in about 3 wks. If  I can decide on my next camera before then I can reclaim the tax and get to know the camera before the housings arrive!

Cheers

Chris
Guitarfish

Postby KelnKelp » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi Chris,

From all that I've read the OM-D will be a fantastic camera both topside and underwater. The cameras are a hot commodity right now as they have just been released and can be hard to get your hands on. We haven't had a chance to test and review one yet, but from reading other reviews it definitely looks to be the next step in the bridge between M. 4/3 and dSLR cameras.

The Olympus housing previews look promising with a removable port system and the fiber optic cable attachments. Yes, if they put the fiber optic cable attachments on the housing then you can definitely fit the flash in the housing.

If this camera meets the expectations you can bet that other manufacturers will make housings for it, though those won't come out for a while.

Hope that helps. -Kelli
KelnKelp

Postby MVL_72 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:27 am

Hi Chris.
I had the opportunity to test the OMD M5 and PT-EP08 housing a couple of weeks ago in Gozo.
The camera performs beautify and the results where impressive. The low light capabilities is excellent.
The port system is based on the Sea and Sea RDX housings. We did not have any RDX ports available for the tests and used an adaptor called PDA-EP08 that allows yo to connect the old E series Olympus ports.
The flash unit fits perfectly inside the housing and we use it with Inon and Olympus strobes with out any problem.
The housings we used where a very early productions (numbers 19 and 21) and did had a few problems that I'm sure Olympus will address. If you want a housing with better ergonomics and a greater depth rating, Nauticam is about to release their version and the rumours we have heard indicate that it wont be much more expensive.
Alex Mustard was with us in Gozo and he published an excellent review of the camera. you can find it here:
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/alex-mus ... om-d-e-m5/
Cheers
Mario
MVL_72

Postby Guitarfish » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks to both of you for the info. I read Alex's review and was reassured enough to take the plunge with the EM5 (and Have already collected on the tax refund! 8-) ).

I won't be diving til Sept, so will hold fire on the housing for a while and see how things settle down. Gives me a chance to get my head round the camera before then anyway...

Thanks again!

Chris
Guitarfish

Return to Underwater Photography Questions