Which camera should i buy?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Fasando » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Hello, im about to purchase a camera and an underwater case along with a strobe and maybe some lens, and i do not know which one should i choose.
I was thinking between buying a dSLR, but they seem abit to expensive seeing as i am still an amateur. I got at home a panasonic Lumix GF2 which i can buy some accessories such as macro and wide lens, strobe, underwater case and such. Another choice is buying a new canon g12, with a case, get a nice strobe, maybe 1 or 2 lenses for macro and wide angles.
I could also go on a cheap dSLR camera but the only ones i find are pretty expensive. Which camera do you suggest me to use/buy? and which cases/strobes/lenses go with the best with that camera?
P.S i got till around august till i will buy my camera and case, so until then some other cameras might turn out better but for now which one should i use?
Fasando

Postby Fasando » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Also, if you could tell me the price ranges of these things it would be very appreciated.
Fasando

Postby bvanant » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:10 pm

A lot depends on your budget and what kind of things you like to shoot and probably most importantly what you want to do with your pictures. If you are shooting for the web and computer displays for your friends then the Panasonic is a great choice. Scott has great housings for it at Bluewater and you can get strobes and such there too. If you are wanting to make big prints (400 x 500 mm) then you will need a DSLR. A good housing for the GF2 is about $1000 and strobes will be another $700 to $800 and lenses will be another $400 or so. Starting with a DSLR will be a lot more money. What do you want to shoot and how much do you want to spend?
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Fasando » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:04 am

Well basically i wouldnt want the price of the equipment to exceed around 3500$, and i want to shoot for the web and computer displays for my friends:P. The problem with the GF2 is that its my father's camera and i want to get my own camera. And i've searched about DSLR's, the canon T3i seems not that expensive nowdays but i dont know if its worth buying it seeing that i am still an amateur, so i researched alot about the Canon g12.
Fasando

Postby bvanant » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:10 pm

The T3i in the S&S housing is absolutely killer for UW photography. You can put a good system together for $3500 pretty easily. The camera/housing is about $2500 and you can add a good strobe for $500.
Bill

bvanant

Postby Fasando » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 pm

I do need a different port for each lens right? for example, what port do i need for the 18-55mm lens? or the 18-135mm lens? and how much do each of them cost?
Fasando

Postby Fasando » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:59 am

And for a macro port:)
Fasando

Postby bvanant » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:04 am

Fasando wrote:I do need a different port for each lens right? for example, what port do i need for the 18-55mm lens? or the 18-135mm lens? and how much do each of them cost?

The port that comes with the housing is fine for the kit lens (18-55). I don't think the 18-135 is very useful underwater but recommend the Canon 60 mm macro lens and the Tokina 10-17 for wide angle if you are serious. Of course the more serious you are the more $ you will need but to get started the 18-55 will be fine.
Bill

bvanant

Postby Fasando » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:09 am

Ok thanks, if i choose to go for something cheaper, i read that the g12 is the best compact camera out there, which case should i go for? the ikelite or the recsea? the ikelite is cheaper. but is there anything difference aside from the size/weight? and can i get for both strobes/macro/wide angles?
Fasando

Postby Zig » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 pm

Ok thanks, if i choose to go for something cheaper, i read that the g12 is the best compact camera out there, which case should i go for? the ikelite or the recsea? the ikelite is cheaper. but is there anything difference aside from the size/weight? and can i get for both strobes/macro/wide angles?

Hello again, Ori. Scott Gietler, the owner of Bluewater Photo, will be able to answer all of these questions for you! Here's the link to their site. http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/

Cheers,
Zig
Zig

Return to Underwater Photography Questions