Pool Lighting Setup

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Pauline » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi guys, I've been reading up online to try to figure out a good lighting setup for pool work. I came up with this diagram, which fits with the gear I have access to.

Is there anything anyone would do differently? I also have a SB 700 speedlight I could throw into the mix.

PoolSetup_2.jpg

Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thanks a lot!
Pauline
Pauline

Postby tswinner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Pauline,

I wouldn't use the DS160 out of the water. It can over heat and fry your flash tube. Use the SB 700 for topside. It's not that powerful but zoom the flash head or snoot it for more of a spot. As for the position of your lights its a good place to start but there is no perfect position. Think about the shadows and the image you want to create then modify your light to make it work.

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby Pauline » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:10 am

Thank you Todd! :D

I definitely don't want to fry the DS 160. :shock: I've been hunting around for videos showing how people do pool shoots and I've seen it used out of the water on deck (I think in the interest of safety around young children). Is it easy to fry it or would I really have to be clicking fast you think?

I guess if the SB700 accidentally falls in the water I would at least have an exciting new hair style afterwards, no? 8-) :idea:
Pauline

Postby Zig » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:16 am

Hello Pauline,

Check out this recent article on underwater pool photography. I hope this helps!

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/under ... hotography

Zig
Zig

Return to Underwater Photography Questions