Setting & gear for Canon 7D - Nauticam housing

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby bmwbchy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 am

Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 7D and would like to buy Nauticam housing with following stuff for my first diving camera, I dunno whether these kind of setting & equipment is appropriate or not, pls comments. Your comments would be much appreciated.

Housing: Nauticam for 7D
Lens: Tokina 10-17mm fisheye (Intent to buy this) with 8.5" dome port

Strobe x 2pcs : wanna use cheaper one "Sea&Sea YS-110a" but i'm afraid the recycle time of battery is not fast enough when I using the high speed continous shooting mode, so I would like to pick "INON Z-240" . seem this strobe is pretty fast output when using high-speed shooting mode. Pls comments or any suggestion w/tks.

Light: model "Sola 1200" - Do I need to buy this put it on top of middle for video?

Arm set :
1st question: Depends on the weight, as I'm afraid too heavy for me. Do I need to use floating arms to make it weight more neutral under the water?
2nd question: How long of the arm length should I use? For instance, 2pcs short (4-5") each side?
3rd question: Seem "Ultralight" or "INON" is more reliable qlty. Can I buy some kind of OEM product (Not famous brand).

Thank you for your time! :)
bmwbchy

Postby bvanant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

bmwbchy wrote:Hi Everyone,
I just bought a 7D and would like to buy Nauticam housing with following stuff for my first diving camera, I dunno whether these kind of setting & equipment is appropriate or not, pls comments. Your comments would be much appreciated.

Housing: Nauticam for 7D
Lens: Tokina 10-17mm fisheye (Intent to buy this) with 8.5" dome port

Strobe x 2pcs : wanna use cheaper one "Sea&Sea YS-110a" but i'm afraid the recycle time of battery is not fast enough when I using the high speed continous shooting mode, so I would like to pick "INON Z-240" . seem this strobe is pretty fast output when using high-speed shooting mode. Pls comments or any suggestion w/tks.

Light: model "Sola 1200" - Do I need to buy this put it on top of middle for video?

Arm set :
1st question: Depends on the weight, as I'm afraid too heavy for me. Do I need to use floating arms to make it weight more neutral under the water?
2nd question: How long of the arm length should I use? For instance, 2pcs short (4-5") each side?
3rd question: Seem "Ultralight" or "INON" is more reliable qlty. Can I buy some kind of OEM product (Not famous brand).

Thank you for your time! :)

I think you will be happy with the Nauticam housing (its what I shoot) but others like Aquatica and S&S are also things you should look at. The tokina is a great lens and one of the moderators on this board (todd winner) is right now selling one, you should talk to him about it. As for strobes, I think the YS110a is a good strobe and if you are not shooting full power will recycle fast enough for most shooting; the Inons are also very good strobes. As for arms, I am a strong believer in ULCS arms and clamps. They will last forever and most importantly compared to the real budget arms and clamps you can get on ebay they will allow you to make small adjustments very easily. Your system with the big dome will not be too heavy underwater; get some STIX floats to help with your arms after you figure out how much flotation you will need.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions