Tray for Recsea G12 housing

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby Karl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:54 am

I have just taken hold of my new Recsea housing and Canon G12. What I am after is if anyone knows someone that makes a tray for the Recsea housing as it has two tripod screw holes - I have seen a couple of photos of G10 / 11 with Fisheye / Recsea housing on trays with the two screws so I know they are out there :) :)

Any help will be appreciated.

Karl
Karl

Postby Aussie_dave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:23 am

Karl -

Congrats on the new rig!

ULCS make a nice lightweight tray (TR-DM) http://www.ulcs.com/ to fit housings with two mounting holes. It's a very modular system, with bits and bobs to suit any function. Put a handle/ball on one side, and the TR-DUP extension on the other. With the drop down block fitted, your right hand slots in nicely with your finger poised on the shutter. Put a focus light or strobe #2 on that side.

ScubaCam Singapore http://www.scubacam.com.sg also stock cheaper knockoff versions. They are a great outlet, and serve the Aussie market well. Word of advice from experience - the "Sea Gadgets" tray and extension, and clamps are fine. I'd pass on the ball arm segments.

btw, saw your recent 2-page spread in DIVELOG, goodonya! Very nice work with a DX-1G, especially considering our local conditions. Anxious to see what you can do with the new kit. And some clear water!

- Dave
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Postby James » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I made my own tray but the UCLS should work for you. This is not a UCLS tray:

Notice the doubler which both acts as an adapter and also acts to stiffen the tray to prevent imparting flex to the housing. I also use my camera on my old Oceanic Nikonos tray:

I like the old Oceanic tray because the strobe handle snaps off for hand held flash positioning. Of course, originally I used my FIX housing on my Ikelite tray:

So, basically, if you make an adapter similar to the one below you can interface your camera with virtually any tray:

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby Karl » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 am

Hey guys thanks for your replies. I have found one made for the Fisheye housing (same as the Recsea) but will look at the others as well.

Also a mate has access to a workshop specalising in ali products so I may look at doing a design and see if he can come up with something.

Dave - glad you liked the Divelog portofolio. When they asked for it they wanted local stuff so it was all from Rockingham area (RWT / Ammo Jetty / Robb's Jetty) :P :P - so if you know these sites then you know what I am up against :oops: :oops:

Looking forward to using the G12 - but it's a whole new experience :o :o

Karl
Karl

Return to Compact Camera Corner