Olympus PEN E-PL1 vs Canon G12

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby nemo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 pm

I am in the process of buying a carmera for UW. I have been going back and forth between olympus epl1 and canon g12 along with one sea & sea YS-01 strobe. I am aware of the epl1 housing has a fixed lense port. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
nemo

Postby James » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:07 am

Actually there are two Zen ports that can be fitted if I recall to the Oly housing.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby bvanant » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:46 pm

nemo wrote:I am in the process of buying a carmera for UW. I have been going back and forth between olympus epl1 and canon g12 along with one sea & sea YS-01 strobe. I am aware of the epl1 housing has a fixed lense port. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Two very different cameras. The G12 has a fixed lens and a small sensor. The EPL-1 (the one I think you mean) is an interchangeable lens camera with a much larger sensor and much better Image Quality. That being said, a lot depends on what you want to do with the systems and what you want to spend.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby nemo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you, James and Bill. It looks like Olympus PEN EPL-1 is the choice. Better picture quality and capable of taking micro shots are important. What do you think of getting the sea & sea YS-01 strobe for the setup?

By the way, Bill, nice underwater photos on your website.
nemo

Postby bvanant » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:01 pm

I think that if it were me, I would spend the extra $ and get the 110a. Great strobe for that system. The 01 is fine but the 110 will grow with you more easily.
Bill

bvanant

Postby nemo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks, Bill. Appreciate your advise. There is another question came to my mind. To my understanding only the kit lens can work with the Olympus PT-EP01 Underwater Housing. I found this wet lens, PTMC-01 Macro Lens, witch can be attached to the housing lens port. It only has a magnification up to x2. Do you think it is good enough for taking photos of small critters like Pygmy see horse? If not, which lens should I get?
nemo

Postby bvanant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Why wouldn't you look at the EPL-2. The new housing is a bunch smaller and Scott can get you a good deal on the camera and the housing. As for macro, I think both the -1 and -2 housings have adapters for 67 mm. Then you can use any 67 mm screw on lens. Scott can get you some nice deals on those as well.

Bill

bvanant

Return to Compact Camera Corner