FIX S90 case + UWL-04 + UCL-165 -- Equipment advice pls

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby themushroomking » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:54 am

Hello,

I've been spending days reading through the various posts here and over on SB regarding the numerous lens combinations with the FIX S90 housing. I've learned a lot but still a bit fuzzy.
I think I've figured out what I want to get, but would like to run it past the folks here as a sanity check!

Quick background. I've already got the S90 and FIX S90 housing. But I do not have any other lens or existing equipment, so I'm starting fresh you might say. I want to get a decent fisheye lens and a macro lens as well. I've decided (unless someone can give me a good reason not to) on the Fix Fisheye UWL-04 M52/67 lens as well as the INON UCL-165M67. (both INON and FIX are easy to get in my area and reasonably priced)

Most of the local shops around here do not carry the lens mounts and adapters in stock, you need to order them. Thus I'm unable to go into a shop and have a look and play around. This is where I could use your advice. Ideally, Once I get the proper mounts and adapters on, I hope to be able to easily switch between the macro and fisheye without too much hassle. Please take a look at these two configurations and tell me if I've missed something. which one, or another option.

Choice #1
 FIX S90 Mount adapter M67
 UWL-04 (using included 67mm step up ring)
 UCL-165M67 use as is with FIX M67 mount adapter (compatible??)

Choice #2
 FIX S90 Mount adapter M52
 UWL-04 as is
  UCL-165M67 is there a step up ring compatible with the FIX M52 mount?

Cheers
M
Member of the 'Japan Underwater Explorers' group - GUE diving in Tokyo and Japan!
themushroomking

Postby James » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm

The Fisheye UWL-04 lens comes with a 67mm to 52mm step ring that can screw into the FIX 52mm to 44mm adapter, you will need to purchase the 52mm to 44mm adapter. The Dyron 16mm fisheye lens comes with a 52mm to 44m adapter included and installed but it will screw off and you can then use a 67mm to 52mm step ring for the UCL165-67mm.

Does this answer your question?

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby themushroomking » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:52 am

Thanks James,

So assuming I get the UWL-04 and UCL165, one will require a single adapter and one will require two adapters. Fair enough.

I've heard lots about trying to keep the wide angle lens close to the housing to reduce vignetting so only using a single adapter with the wide lens makes sense. Then the macro lens will need two adapters. Are there any drawbacks to having the macro lens a bit further from the housing?

Thus I'm leaning towards buying the following:
FIX S90 Mount adapter M52
  UWL-04
  UCL-165M67 with a 67 to 52 step ring

I look forward to getting in the water, and posting some pics here. (The tips and such on this site are fantastic, and what originally convinced me to go for the S90!! thanks)
-M
Member of the 'Japan Underwater Explorers' group - GUE diving in Tokyo and Japan!
themushroomking

Postby James » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:56 pm

I am not a big macro guy, I find it terribly boring so I am not able to give good advice. I see no point in macro until you have zoomed out fully to begin with. Macro lenses tend to be less critical than wide angle as to placement and are able to tolerate being mounted a greater distance out from the port, IMO.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby themushroomking » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks James. appreciate the input.

The Macro lens is a 'future purchase' - I just want to understand everything before I drop the cash! (wideangle first..)

My local shop has ordered a UWL-04 lens + Fix 52mm adapter ring for me. They say the adapter ring is a better solution to the adapter mount. frankly, I don't understand the difference :? But I'll be able to take my housing into the shop, hopefully this friday, and try it out first hand and see. With any luck I'll be set up and ready to try it in the water by next week!!

Cheers !!
themushroomking

Postby themushroomking » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:53 am

Hi,

All sorted out and ready to take the camera out for a dive next week. Big thanks to everyone here (lots of good info on other threads too) - cheers
(pic attached)
Attachments
IMG_6958.jpg
themushroomking

Postby scottg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:18 am

the setup is looking nice! congrats on the fisheye lens. Post some photos after you take it for a dive. - Scott

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Return to Compact Camera Corner