Connecting Sea&Sea YS-110 Strobe to Ikelite 6240.40 Housing

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby KaySea » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 am

I recently purchased a Canon Powershot SD4000 IS and Ikelite 6240.40 housing for it which I am looking forward to use with the Sea&Sea YS-110 strobe that I have owned for about a year. However, when I attempted to assemble the rig, I found the Sea&Sea tray to be incompatible with the Ikelite housing. First, there are two screw mounts on the underside of the housing, which does not necessarily pose an immediate problem, but the screw in the tray is too large to thread into the Ikelite housing. I have used this strobe with a Canon and an Olympus housing, and this is the first compatibility issue that I have encountered. I have checked Sea&Sea's website and Ikelite's website and I have found no indication which of their trays and strobe arms are compatible with one another. Has anyone encountered a similar situation who can lend any insight into how to tackle this issue? I appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks a bunch. Happy shooting! :)

-K
KaySea

Postby bvanant » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:06 pm

First, you shouldn't be surprised that Ike and S&S have different mounting philosophies. Try to put a GM headlight into a Ford and you will understand. You have a couple of options but the simplest is to figure out which size screw fits into the Ikelite housing then go to the local HW store and buy some of that size in Stainless steel and some washers too. Then use the new screws to attach the S&S tray to the Ike housing.

Other options are to call ULCS and buy one of their trays; they are great people and can get you set up easily enough.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Compact Camera Corner