Help for Bonaire

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby johnsy17 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey. I stumbled across this site...thank goodness.
The story : I made my first trip to Bonaire last year with a Canon Powershot SD 630 I believe..without looking. After figuring out that flash was not really optional and that the subject matter needed to be very close to insure clear pictures, things started going very well. I have some good quality pictures, but after looking at the detail in many others I saw that mine were good, but not of the same quality.
I basically used the "auto" setting and got very close to the subject matter. I've been told that "macro" on such images is the way to go.
I'm in need of a crash course, since I leave for Bonaire in a month and have fallen in love with underwater life and the documentation of it. As a teacher and coach, I don't get many oppotunities (once or twice a year) to make these types of trips.
I've been given general help ...such as, use macro and etc. I'd like more specifics.
Also, I need to know the best way to save battery power. Do i keep it on the entire dive or should I turn it on for each shot? Should I leave it set on macro the entire dive or not..and so on. What about video? Good idea or bad?
I'm really wanting to do well this time and was shocked by how well the pictures turned out last time. But, the coach in me wants that clear and detailed up close pic.
We'll do 25 to thirty dives. I know the more pictures, the more likely to get keepers, but I'd like to limit my bad shots with some help from experienced folks.

Thanks in advance.
Johnsy
johnsy17

Postby scottg » Fri May 14, 2010 4:37 pm

hey Johnny - so you are using your Canon SD 630 again with a Canon housing and just the internal flash, is that correct?

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby James » Sat May 15, 2010 9:29 am

You say you are getting in really close. Yes, you should probably be shooting in macro mode. You might also see if you get better overall results in P rather than Auto. For your macro can you set flash to Forced On in macro mode?
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Return to Compact Camera Corner