fix housing advice

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby mantababe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:44 am

my new S95 should be in my hands very soon :D so now i need to decide on the housing, i had almost gone for the canon but im still on the fench as keep hearing great r/v on the fix, what i wanna know is there more to it than just it being a great peice of "gucci2 kit! ;) for the extra money i really want know its woth it and im getting something for it. i want the baynet lens [plus point for the canon] but have few reservations on the fix

how can you see if there is a leak or any condenstation in housing due to its techy black material [OEM are see thro plastic]

same with the o-rings at least with the OEM you can check out the 0-ring once in the housing [it was the o-ring being pinched that casued the flood on last camera] dont want it happening again so plan to keep good eye on whats happening for the chance of surfacing asap if i spring a leak

the buttons on the fix are black does that not make it bit difficutl to see them underwater esp in low viz? as the OEM are different colours thus must be easier to see??

any help is appreciated as really dont know what route to take. i know that the fix takes all lens, so the baynet ones can be used [however, i not got any at moment] and also the real dial can be accessed [also know you can do this by the "S" button but dont really like where this is placed on the OEM as whilst using it your hand covers the screen, but is this function used much druing diving anyway?? what does the real dial do that is needed during a dive?

sorry for long thread but this is a lot of money for my poor harding working nursing wage to do so want right decision :?
mantababe

Postby James » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:38 pm

The advantages of the FIX have been explained already to you if I recall by myself ;) .

1. Ability to use nearly all current accessory lenses to good advantage.

2, Flexible port system, see (1) above), a system of port adapters are available to allow use of numerous bayonet and thread-on lenses

3. Interport/lens distance is smaller than the Ike or the Canon thus producing better results, less vignetting/distortion with accessory lenses that either the Ike or Canon.

4. Rear control ring access, not having this alone is huge and a deal breaker as far as I am concerned.

5. Greater durability, more rugged, far better fit and finish/precise fit and function, the camera works as well in the housing as it does without.

6. More compact size, easier to travel with.

7.Fully operational at 200 feet (and then some).

8. Better design, better quality, better ergo.

9. Front ring control spins full 360 degrees.

10. Less likely to have condensation due to aluminum construction and minimal air space.

11. Optic cable adapter is part of the housing design and works well.

12. Better shutter feel for half press

13. Dual attach holes with insert in bottom of housing.

14. The version for the S95 will have improved separation for rear control buttons.

15. This has nothing to do with some style/fashion company who makes purses or shoes.

The Canon wet case is a toy compared to the pro-quality FIX and can only use one or two bayonet lenses. The Ike is certainly more robust than the Canon but lacks precision, lacks the rear ring control, can only use thread-on lenses.

The extra money spent on the FIX buys exactly that much more quality and functionality, do you need that quality and functionality, beats me :?: but just because you don't does not mean those who do are buying it because of Gucci or status or being a show off or whatever odd thinking you have there.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby mantababe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:35 pm

thank you for that very thorough reply. forgive my askin of the same questions but i have had so much going thro re:cameras and housings that not everything has stuck, plus my mind set had been set on chosing said camera more than the housing, camera choice done im now looking again [as i had decided on the canon] at either the fix [coz long term this does seem better option] rahter than the canon, but as stated im nervous bout spending that type of money and thus want find out as much as i can, as said sorry for the repeat in the questions...but memory not as it was :lol:

ps my gucci comment was said tongue in cheek not meant as a serious comment, however, i have known divers buy stuff bc of the kudos value....so no odd thinking there at all, just being frivolous but obviously didnt work :oops:

anyway has any one got an answer to my...how can you see if the fix housing has a leak during a dive??
mantababe

Postby James » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:15 pm

mantababe wrote:
anyway has any one got an answer to my...how can you see if the fix housing has a leak during a dive??

Your first clue will be that the camera has stopped working, the second clue will be a big bubble floats past the LCD screen, the third will be when you surface and open the housing, water will pour out.

My belief system is that if even a single drop of seawater gets near a modern digi cami, it is a dead camera. I don't worry over it because IMO, the likelihood of a failure of the FIX housing is slim and my preparations are thorough. I did purchase a spare camera.

Underwater photography is expensive, strobes cost a small fortune, two strobe cost 2X small fortune.

Perhaps save your money for the future when you perhaps will not feel so compromised with these decisions.

James

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby mantababe » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 am

i appreciate your comments james but i dont think there is any need to be quite so patronising. i will worry bout any housing floodin due to the fact that what happened to my last one. i am a female in what is still predominantly male diving world, but i am by now means stupid but some things may take me a while to grasp, but the answers that you gave to my question re: flooding are things I do already know. Everyone goes on about how bril this housing is [its almost like no one dares to criticise it] so my comments were just few down points I could possibly see that I wanted to consider before I decide. So IMO they are not a silly questions [in fact it was another diver who mentioned to me that they didnt like the fix coz you cant see if you get a leak....and this diver is a MALE! i hadnt even considered that issue until he mentioned it].

you maybe correct bout the one drop of water, however, ive known cameras come back to life after a flood [unfort mine didnt] so id rather get out the water ASAP to give it a chance. I look after my photography gear, unfort on this one occasion I didn’t quite concentrate [I changed battery in bw dives, which I never do, and kept getting interrupted, and ended up pinching a seal, ive learnt a valuble lesson]

i spend a lot of my money on diving/photography and im quite aware how expensive it is, and this hobby is not just for the very well off people, and i resent being made to feel that just because i dont earn a fortune [im a nurse] that maybe i should be a good little girl and find another hobby. and the comment -
“Perhaps save your money for the future when you perhaps will not feel so compromised with these decisions” may not ever come due to my situ, I have the money now for the fix but it’s the deciding whether “I” will benefit from this great housing? but I am not in the fortunate financial situ that others obviously are, As there are always other things that money can go on. However, I have a passion for underwater photography [I may not be good but I love it] and I thought the ideas of these forums was to help? not to make people feel foolish because they ask questions that forum users don’t approve of!
mantababe

Postby James » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:36 am

My answer to you has nothing to do with your being a "girl" and I am sorry that you wear that as a chip on your shoulder or play that card. My answer(s) to you were without regard to your sexual status, I would give the same answer regardless to someone who has asked the same questions repeatedly on multiple forums and has gotten the same answers from multiple posters on those forums.

I will say again, you have several choices:

1. Get a different system you are comfortable with
2. Get the Canon OEM case and if you like the camera (S95) upgrade housings -- or not if you find you like the OEM housing
3. Get the FIX "Gucci" housing because it really is better.
4. Save your money since you have presented that (funding) as an issue and wait until you can can get what you want rather than trying to justify NOT getting what you want immediately.

Some people want to be told what they want to hear, I usually don't play that game. The FIX does not have a leakage problem, if it does leak you will know as I said in the other post. While you may have seen cameras resurrect themselves, it is rare once saltwater has been in them IMO. Aluminum housings as well as those which are opaque plexi or molded acrylic all have the same issue in that you cannot see inside them. Some have sufficient room to install an electronic warning system. This of course makes sense on a system costing thousands of dollars. However, the FIX housing is extremely "tight" on the housing and there is no place to mount such a warning system. I am afraid, if it is a concern to you, that my tongue in cheek answers from my previous post will stand.

Best of luck with your progress into underwater photography. It is fun, it can be worth the investment, it is all up to you. As you said, in another post in another forum, it is the photographer, not the camera or housing, so, that being your belief and I would not argue against it, haven't you largely answered your own concerns? (rhetorical, no need to respond)

James

James

Postby seekncritters » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Mantababe, I sympathise with your toiling on which equipment to get.

The folks on this board and others are just trying to help answer your questions, and it seems like your decision process has been painstaking despite all of the feedback and help given. I think through all of James' posts, as well as others' posts with details regarding the Fix housing, it seems the choice is clear:

-->If you can afford the Fix housing, then it's recommended that you get it. From feedback of the users, you get what you pay for (more quality for more $$$).

-->If you cannot afford the Fix housing, then the Canon OEM is a perfectly reasonable option that is significantly less expensive.

In this thread (http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=535) you said you were on a limited budget. If you can't afford the Fix housing, and you already have purchased the Canon S95 camera, and you want to be able to add wet lenses (including wide angle) with bayonet mounts and better optics, then your choice is pretty clear. Canon OEM for the S95, with Inon bayonet mount adapter.

If you purchase the Canon OEM housing, you can always sell it and buy the Fix housing later when the time is right for you, budget wise.

Hope you make your decision soon and get to the important bit: diving and snapping away!

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby Aussie_dave » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:33 am

Hi Mantababe -

I have to agree that bayonet lenses are the go U/W. I carry an Inon UFL-165AD wide angle and stacked (yes I got a second one!) UCL-165AD macros. I would not have believed it before I did it, but I actually shot photos with the WA, the macro, and the native lens on the same dive. Opportunities really change on a multi-level dive, and swapping the bayonet mount Inon AD lenses is easy as.

I have the FIX housing, and love it for all the oft-mentioned reasons. I know others are quite happy with their choices. Whichever housing you end up with, go for the Inon AD lenses - beaut quality and simple to use. I use a combo adaptor to mount the lenses to my housing: Dyron 67mm ring with 10bar 67mm-AD conversion insert. Not a perfect solution, but a bit cheaper than Fisheye parts, also allows mounting any 67mm bits you may have lying about (see thread http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=343)

Anyway, good luck.

- Dave
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Return to Compact Camera Corner