Olympus 5050 vs. Canon A570

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby vestmar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:41 am

Hy there all!
Great website, great reviews!
BUT, still can't decide: Olympus 5050 vs. Canon A570

TOTAL newbie, but just fallen in love with scuba diving and also with the marine life.

Very low budget, but would go either for the Oly, either for the Can.

Highly appreciate your professional opinion on this.

VERY IMPORTANT: also interested in using the camera on the surface and also for some videos of my newborn baby (the actual excuse to buy it;)

Thank,

All the best,

P.
vestmar

Postby bvanant » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 am

Both are really old in terms of digital cameras. I understand that budget might be a concern but go for something newer. An Olympus FE360 with housing is only $200 and the canon sd940 + housing is only $400 so you have much better more modern solutions. Both the 5050 and the A570 will be difficult to fix should something happen (and it will). Go to Backscatter's website and read their best of P&S for 2010.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby vestmar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 am

bvanant wrote:Both are really old in terms of digital cameras. I understand that budget might be a concern but go for something newer. An Olympus FE360 with housing is only $200 and the canon sd940 + housing is only $400 so you have much better more modern solutions. Both the 5050 and the A570 will be difficult to fix should something happen (and it will). Go to Backscatter's website and read their best of P&S for 2010.
Bill

Thank you VERY much bvanant!
Highly appreciate your reply. I'm already searching them!
Also a feedback: nice pictures on your website! :)

If other people can contribute, the search will narrow.

Thank all,

Puiu
vestmar

Postby vestmar » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 am

bvanant wrote:Both are really old in terms of digital cameras. I understand that budget might be a concern but go for something newer. An Olympus FE360 with housing is only $200 and the canon sd940 + housing is only $400 so you have much better more modern solutions. Both the 5050 and the A570 will be difficult to fix should something happen (and it will). Go to Backscatter's website and read their best of P&S for 2010.
Bill

Still a question bvanant:

I chose the firs two models (Oly 5050 and the Can a570) because of these found on UW:

"The best photos I've ever seen from compacts are from an Oly 5050"

in this thread: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/digit ... as#COMPACT

and

"Canon A570
Great choice overall, at a great price point. The strobe can't be fired by sync cable; raw allowed by software update only; decent battery life. Takes a fisheye lens, and macro lenses.
Image quality is excellent. The camera will work well with INON fisheye and macro lenses. full manual model is available."

Found in the same thread: http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/digit ... as#COMPACT

What do you think about it?

Thnak you,

Puiu
vestmar

Postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 am

Those cameras are no longer produced. You can occasionally find them in classifieds etc. I recently sold my two A570s with housings, loved them, my new S90 is much better.

The equivalent today would be the Canon S90 and new S95, the Canon G11 and the Olympus ELP-1.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby seekncritters » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Congratulations on your new love affair with scuba diving and marine life! You will love it even more when you can capture images of what you find to share with others and so that you can learn more about the marine life.

If I were you, I'd get the Canon Powershot S95 ($399) with the Canon OEM housing (Waterproof Case WP-DC38) ($240). Great camera, great value for the money. You can pre-order on Amazon (free shipping!). Don't get the S90. Wait for the S95 so you can capture HD video of your newborn baby (congratulations!!).

Start there, get familiar with the camera, and start saving up some nickels so you can buy an external strobe and other accessories for it.

Hopefully you can wait for the S95 to come out and hope the price is within your budget. If not, let us know what your budget is for camera and housing.

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby vestmar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:28 am

Hi all and thank you for your tips.
Dana thanks for the nice words:)

Digging and digging through the sea of options I ended up to
GoPRO HD Naked for 259 Usd with housing, HD video and 5 megapixel pictures.

What do you think about this option in comprison with the S90 and the likes?

I am curious if anyone uses GoPro and how is it?

Thanks,

Puiu
vestmar

Postby seekncritters » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:27 am

With the GoPro HD Naked you'll get a few snaps and videos to remember by, but it appears they won't be of very good quality. Like with so many things, you get what you pay for. The GoPro HD Naked doesn't even compare to the Canon Powershot S95 (like apples and oranges), especially in terms of capturing stills. The GoPro HD Naked has an ultra wide fixed focus lens, and there is vignetting with that housing. There's no LCD for composing your images. It's basically designed to mount on a helmet and you just go about your business (surfing, snowboarding, skydiving, whatever) and hope you get some decent moving images for memories sake. I can't imagine trying to compose images underwater without some kind of viewfinder or LCD.

Have you read these pages?:
http://www.freshdv.com/2010/08/gopro-diving.html

http://gizmodo.com/5396576/gopro-hero-hd-camera-review

If your budget is around $300, maybe you could get a pocket hd video camcorder for around $100, use that for topside only (for recording the baby), and spend the other $200 on a good quality used camera and housing and look for a camera like a Canon A570 that has full manual controls and can also record 640x480 video.

I still recommend that if you can scrape up the extra money, get the Canon S95 and housing. I just can't see how you can go wrong with that choice!

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby maggieD » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:34 am

I shot the olympus c5050 for years but it must be at least an eight year old camera by now. I bet olympus doesn't support it anymore either. It was a great camera with a wonderful bright lens but underwater the shutter lag was horrible. I don't know anything about the canon a570. I think if I was in your position I would follow the advice already given to you and go for something newer.

M:)
maggieD

Return to Compact Camera Corner