Extra batteries for Canon S90?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby cdub » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:13 am

I wanted to buy some new extra NB-6L batteries for my Canon S90 (long life if they are available) since the Canon battery lasts me 2 dives before abruptly dying in the 3rd. :(

Does anyone have any recos on 1) if there are any non-canon brands that are reliable? Seems like all the reviews on non-mfg batteries are hit or miss. I haven't been able to find a source for the japanese cell batteries recommended here, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:25 am

I ordered several different cells before my most recent trip. I think the 1.4ah aftermarket types that are made with "premium" Japanese cells do outperform the Canon packs but as to long term reliability, I have no guess. Since you can buy three of the aftermarket for one Canon pack, you get my point.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby cdub » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks James!

ETA: I found some strings on this topic from scubaboard as well, recommending these two below. Are these the batteries you used?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UD ... PDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power%C2%A ... 933&sr=8-1

Postby James » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 pm

The Wasabi pack looks good, states that it is made from Japanese cells, ought to work.

James

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby bvanant » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:28 am

I have bought and tested quite a few third party batteries for Canon cameras but never for the S90. Most of them are quite unreliable, sometimes they work well for a few weeks and then quit charging. I always recommend that the batteries from the manufacturer have better QC than third party batteries. As for the Wasabi packs, the cells might be made in Japan, but I bet that the final packaging is from China. It is not only the cell that determines how well the battery works, but also all of the other manufacturing issues.
If a battery costs $60 and lasts for 2 years worth of dives (say 200 dives) and you take 100 pictures per dive then each picture has 0.3 cents worth of battery. If your battery dies during a dive when the very first manta you have ever seen swims by (and that's when it will dive) saving $40 on a battery will seem silly. That being said, if you find that the Wasabi or other batteries you buy last a long time and they behave well then go for it.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby cdub » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Bill and James,

I ended up ordering the Wasabi battery, and I'll keep track of how it does over the next month or two compared to the OEM battery, and another generic I received as part of an accessories kit. I'll report back on them just to give a a data point on this in case others are shopping as well.

For the OEM, I can get about 2 - 60 min dives out of it shooting on manual with the internal strobe set to the lowest setting, and I'll check my shot count. The s90 battery indicator will often tell me I am still at full/3bars at the end of the 2nd dive, but it never fails to go from full to flatline within the first 10 mins of dive 3, so I've learned not to trust the indicator!

Postby CompuDude » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:15 am

I've been using the Wasabi batteries for what, 6 months or so now? (I have two)

So far they've been as good, or better, than the Canon OEM batteries. (I have two of these as well)

No complaints whatsoever, thus far.
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby James » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:48 am

Same here, as good or better, thus far. I have three Canon batteries, two Wasabi and a Digitek and two Canon S90 cameras.

James

James

Return to Compact Camera Corner