Canon D10

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby toobstar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:37 am

Hi Guys,

First time poster.. I've got a Canon D10 and was interested to know people's opinion of how it compares with an S90 or G11 underwater. These other two appear to be the flavour of the month and I was surprised to find almost no mention of the D10 when searching the forum. What do you think?? :D

Regards,
Toby
toobstar

Postby seekncritters » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

It's like comparing apples with oranges. The D10 camera is built to be rugged and "waterproof" only to 33 ft, and there is no housing available for it if you want to go deeper. I wouldn't even compare it to the S90 or G11 for underwater use.

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby toobstar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Well.. i'll re-phrase the question then. For me I'm primarily using this camera while snorkeling and the 10m depth limit isn't an issue. Given use in shallower depths where light isn't such a challenge how do you think it compares with the S90 or G11?
toobstar

Postby James » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm

These amphibious and tough cameras are not considered adequate as underwater cameras. They are not intended for repeated dunkings in saltwater an while they may get you some dives to 33 feet a few times don't count on much more than their being splash proof. This is why they rarely get discussed in U/W photo fourms. Similar units are made by Olympus, Pentax etc.

There is no operational comparison between the auto only everything D10 and the advanced/pro-sumer compacts like the S90 and the G11 which have full manual capability for flash, focus, exposure etc and in the case of the S90 direct interface with the shutter and aperture.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby toobstar » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:34 pm

James wrote:These amphibious and tough cameras are not considered adequate as underwater cameras. They are not intended for repeated dunkings in saltwater an while they may get you some dives to 33 feet a few times don't count on much more than their being splash proof. This is why they rarely get discussed in U/W photo fourms. Similar units are made by Olympus, Pentax etc.

There is no operational comparison between the auto only everything D10 and the advanced/pro-sumer compacts like the S90 and the G11 which have full manual capability for flash, focus, exposure etc and in the case of the S90 direct interface with the shutter and aperture.

James

Firstly, I'm sure you're right that they're not as long lasting or durable for extended underwater usage. It isn't completely auto-magic though. There is shutter & aperture priority modes and a few different controls for managing WB and the like. Not as much as my old S45 but still a few points. Taking away durability & manual control my question still stands as to how the picture quality stacks up.

I am definitely not an expert photographer but I've got some shots up on my site here: http://www.snrkl.com You may be interested to have a look. Feedback welcome. :)
toobstar

Postby seekncritters » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Toby, I see you're making good use of the cameras for snorkeling... nice! I would guess the D10 image quality is "fine" in comparison, for snorkeling (but it would be helpful if someone could do a test). One thing that is nice about the G11 or S90 for snorkeling is the wider angle lens (wider than the D10).

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby James » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:07 am

I have not made a comparison of the D10 IQ to that of the S90/G11. The S90 and G11 share their sensor and imaging system, it is larger than that supplied in the D10. The G11 and S90 have a down rated 10MP low noise sensor that supposedly produces cleaner images at higher ISOs which is particularly useful for the S90 with it's faster f2.0 lens and also as well has extended sensitivity and dynamic range.

The newest Canon thing in 2011 models will be the new back lighted sensors and I understand that Canon is introducing a new D10 and two additional weather-proof models to compliment the D10.

I have an Oly 770SW, I have used it sans housing. There were drops of water inside the seal. I will not use it without the housing again unless I want a new one. For playing around in boats, beach, getting splashed, yes. But for diving or even snorkeling, IMO--NO. But, I feel you want a D10 and will not be steered otherwise so I say get one and report back on how it goes and I wish you the best :D . IMO, I would get an Oly and get the underwater case with it as well. That way you have a splash proof naked camera and a housed camera that can go to 120 feet and think nothing of it.

James

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby scottg » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 am

I think it's usually hard to judge the quality of a camera by a person's photos, especially a compact camera. The photos often demonstrate the water quality, subject choices and abilities of the photographer more than they do the quality of the camera.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby toobstar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:51 pm

James wrote:I have not made a comparison of the D10 IQ to that of the S90/G11. The S90 and G11 share their sensor and imaging system, it is larger than that supplied in the D10. The G11 and S90 have a down rated 10MP low noise sensor that supposedly produces cleaner images at higher ISOs which is particularly useful for the S90 with it's faster f2.0 lens and also as well has extended sensitivity and dynamic range.

The newest Canon thing in 2011 models will be the new back lighted sensors and I understand that Canon is introducing a new D10 and two additional weather-proof models to compliment the D10.

I have an Oly 770SW, I have used it sans housing. There were drops of water inside the seal. I will not use it without the housing again unless I want a new one. For playing around in boats, beach, getting splashed, yes. But for diving or even snorkeling, IMO--NO. But, I feel you want a D10 and will not be steered otherwise so I say get one and report back on how it goes and I wish you the best :D . IMO, I would get an Oly and get the underwater case with it as well. That way you have a splash proof naked camera and a housed camera that can go to 120 feet and think nothing of it.

James

Hi James,

Thx for the info but you didn't really read my question. :) I've already got the D10 and it's been underwater many times in the last year. So far so good, although I have had the 'lens error restart camera' situation a few times. I believe that's not that unusual for Canons. In any case, I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade hence the queries on the S90/G11.
toobstar

Postby James » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Yeah, I should have answered your question directly instead of making it generic. For your purposes, I am not sure getting an S90 plus Canon housing would be a huge upgrade unless you intend to take fullest advantage of the features offered by the S/G cameras. Some of those being full manual control, manual/auto strobe, greater depth capability, greater dynamic range and with the S90 greater low light and ambient light capability and the lower noise. Snorkeling in bright, clear water, shooting mostly downward, not using external strobes, not sure you would realize a huge difference.

Since I doubt anyone has both an S90 and a D10 you will have to reconstruct an answer that suits you from those offered, no matter how incomplete some of them might have been, and then cross your fingers.

Good luck.
James

James

Return to Compact Camera Corner