O-ring

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby Durhampro » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:57 am

I recently got my Canon DC34 housing for my G11, when I run my fingers along the O-ring it feels like their are some imperfections in it. At the least I can feel the mold lines on the ring itself. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Thanks
Rob
Durhampro

Postby James » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:46 am

I suspect it is normal, the same mold lines were on my Canon O rings. I don't know if this "defect" contributes in any way to various leakage issues people have with Canon housings.

I personally think Canon needs to consider some upgrades to their housings, at least to the quality level of those provided by Olympus.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby seekncritters » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 am

Rob,

I think it's "normal", what you're feeling along the "edge" of the yellow o-rings.

I've had two different Canon camera housings (no leaks) and I've noticed that the newer housings are getting better, especially with the springs on buttons. I recommend that you be careful and make sure the grooves that fit the o-ring are kept nice and clean (use a q-tip to clean). Also, I like to make sure you soak the housing after your dives and work the buttons a few times while it's soaking. I like to try and blow out the excess water from all of the grooves and behind the buttons before storing, to minimize any scale buildup. I also store the cleaned/lubed oring inside a zip lock bag thats inside the housing, when I'm not using the housing for a while...

At least the Canon housings are inexpensive, so you can save money to buy other gear! :D Also, Inon makes nice wet lens bayonet mount adapters for many of the Canon housings (that's actually the primary reason why I bought the Canon housings).

Have fun with the new G11!

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby bvanant » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:12 pm

Durhampro wrote:I recently got my Canon DC34 housing for my G11, when I run my fingers along the O-ring it feels like their are some imperfections in it. At the least I can feel the mold lines on the ring itself. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Thanks
Rob

Look at your o-rings with a magnifying glass or one of your add on diopters. If there is some flash on the o-ring i.e. some extra material then send it back to Canon. If it only feels a bit rough then you will have no issues. Also look at your housing carefully. Some Canon housings have quite a bit of mold parting line defect. If that is the case you should very very carefully sand off the excess using some very fine wet sandpaper.

o-rings seal by compression against a flat surface so unless there is excess flash I wouldn't worry.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Durhampro » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I have ordered a new O-ring and will compare it to my current one. I think it is just mold seams, but I will have something to compare with once I get the new ring. Obviously I don't want to loose my new cam to a defective ring, I will let you know my findings when I get the new part
Cheers,
Rob
Durhampro

Return to Compact Camera Corner