Sony RX-100 in housing/ above water?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby Derek67 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi, I'm posting from Sydney Australia

I am after camera for sea kayaking and snorkelling. The photos are primarily used for blogging,still and video clips, full screen 1080p, but not printing.

I am considering the Sony rx 100 with an underwater housing as I am hoping to get better quality - particularly close up underwater than I have with previous waterproof / tough point and shoots. However most important is something that gives good image / video quality both in and out of the water.

Does the setup - IE CAMERA IN UNDERWATER HOUSING - produce good images out of the water? As the camera gets wet kayaking I need something that provides good quality while still in its waterproof housing. I dont have the option of removing it to take a photo when out of the water. Do I need a particular wet housing lens for this?

Or should I just consider the Panasonic DMC TS4, Olympus Tough TG 1HS? I have been through 3 Panasonics - good image quality for my purposes, but each one has failed after a year or so - and this seems also true for other brands of waterproof compacts owned by my kayaking friends.

Thanks in advance!
Derek67

Return to Compact Camera Corner