The Great Summer 2010 Wet Lens Shoot Out!

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby James » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Some fooling around with the UWL-04:

Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby James » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Shooting from one end of the pool to the other, same shutter and f stop, same distance, same aiming point from the same place.

Fisheye UWL-04 (full wide):

Inon UFL165AD (zoom at 35mm):

Inon UWL100 plus dome (zoom at 35mm):

All photos at f4.0, hand held and those without strobe there was a low shutter warning thus the fuzzy appearance. Again, these shots are for FOV only, draw no other conclusions at this point please other than relative FOV.

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby James » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:20 pm

I concede that with this camera and housing the Fisheye UWL-04 is wider than the Inon UFL165AD but before we declare a winner prematurely we need to see how they perform in the real ocean and also take a look at relative resolution and close focus ability and overall IQ. I think for some it will be hard to appreciate just how wide all three of these lenses really are, anyone of these would have gotten an entire whale shark from stem to stern at half the pool length distance, so, The Great Summer 2010 Wet Lens Shoot Out Extravaganza continues.

One other thing, the lens testing board, lol, laugh as you wish, I dropped it in and it went to work with no fuss.

The UWL-100 tests will be continued tomorrow, I ran out of time today.

James

James

Postby James » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:03 pm

Before getting on with the UWL100 here are a few from the camera without a wide angle lens, just the flat port.

Flat port at 1 foot and native 28mm:

Flat port at 2 feet and native 28mm:

Flat port at 5 feet and native 28mm:

Flat port at 5 feet and zoom at 35mm:

End of pool distance shot comparison, 28mm, flat port:

James

Postby James » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:16 pm

The Inon UWL100-67 with dome at 1 foot (camera set zoom to 35mm):

Inon UWL100-67 with dome at 2 feet:

Inon UWL100-67 with dome at 5 feet:

End to end in pool, Inon UWL100-67 with dome:

Uh, that is I, Nemrod at arms length, UWL100-67 with dome:

A general note on these shots, the slight vignetting, you will just have to take my word on this, I unscrewed the lens to burp it and I did not screw it all the way back in and thus the slight corner vignette on some photos, normally it does not do that but this does not alter the FOV in any way significantly. Why did I not screw it back in--I forgot to.

James

Postby James » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:31 pm

Messing around with the Inon UFL165AD, still my fav, of course, my models were not very helpful, they were paying attention to the instructor and not me, waaaahhhhh:

You are doing it wrong!!!!!!:

The DM swims by to investigate mysterious HP hose leakage:

Uh, we are going this way:

I, Nemrod, yet again at arms length with the Inon 165AD:

These shots are using the slightly thicker 10Bar AD to 67mm adapter, note minor vignetting on right side, a 98% crop cleans it up, typical of shots with the 10Bar adapter vs my DIY version.

OK, well, that concludes my first round of FOV comparison photos, if all goes well I will make it to GC before the oil does for some ocean testing in clear water and then later this summer I shall attempt to do a little better to investigate IQ of the three lenses back in the pool.

Of note, I attempted using macro focus settings for the dome lenses, not so good results, I cannot suggest using a macro setting with these lenses on an S90, YRMV. The macro setting does produce acceptable focus if you are very close but, well, I will look into it more. I also shot some with preset manual focus. Now this works fine with the dome lenses, just do a zone focus because the small sensors have huge depth of field anyways and the natural huge depth of field with wide angle dome lenses added to that and the windfall is when you push the shutter button the camera shoots with no lag. Focus set at 3 feet and everything from about one foot to 12 feet and maybe nearly infinity is in decent focus at f4.0 and above.

James

Postby CompuDude » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Bravo!

*applause*

Well done, sir, and we thank you. :)
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby James » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:50 am

Well, the oil spill and my relatives who live in Destin telling me not to visit resulted in our going to Grand Cayman instead, but, doing the tests I wanted to do from a commercial boat instead of my own boat was not really possible. Then, my September trip to Cozumel I had to cancel due to my having a broken leg, the result of this is that testing lenses has been on the back burner being as I cannot walk at this moment much less go to the Y pool to carry on.

I think, as well, that the general application of my attempts to test these lenses is not understood, sure, I used a FIX housing but the point is that the information can be extrapolated to other cameras with similar geometry, past, present, future (S95).

In use, the bayonet option is very valuable, this favors the Inon UFL165AD and the thread on type bayonet adapter such as the 10Bar mentioned and pictured earlier. But, the Inon UFL165AD is a challenging lens to use to best advantage, it is particularly prone to flare and educated care must be taken to frame shots to minimize this tendency. It can be very annoying, still, this lens is a top choice for any camera that it can be shoved on to. Not quite as wide as the Fisheye UWL-04 and requiring zoom to 35mm, still, a darn fine lens, typical result:

The Inon UWL100 plus dome, well, this is a great lens from a photographic stand point, but from a practical one, not so much, it is uber expensive and have I mentioned it is heavy, well, it is and coupled with a small housing like the FIX90 or similar, it is overwhelming and ruins the balance. But, if you already have one of these, I would use it and just deal with the other issues. Of the three, as I have observed before, the glass, coated port has the least tendency to flare or other aberrations, care must be taken to keep this lens as close to the camera lens as possible to eliminate corner softness, typical result:

The Fisheye UWL-04, well, this is a odd fellow, available in apparently three different mounts, 52mm threaded, 48mm threaded, ST bayonet mount. The oddness does not stop there, very similar to the Inon UFL165AD but larger, similar design, plastic dome, tendency to flare though not as much so as the Inon UFL165AD, lower overall build quality. I find this lens very difficult to completely clean. Water remains under the lip of the dome and grows salt crystals despite repeated flushing and even after soaking 24 hours in distilled water, very annoying. I have found flushing under a faucet with warm water, an extended distilled water soak upon return from a trip and careful drying in open air a requirement for this lens. The threads on the lens, they are too small in my opinion and tend to bind in the camera port or FIX adapter. A small dab of silicone eliminates this issue. The big advantage to this lens, it does not require zooming to 35mm equivalent. There is still an occasional hint of vignetting but it is easily dealt with in PS. Typical result:

Photos above have not been cropped nor altered beyond a basic color correction, if that, what you see is what you should expect.

With both the UFL165AD and the Fisheye UWL-04 there is a tendency, at least with me, to not get close enough leaving a lot of empty frame that does no good esthetically, care must be taken to fill the frame with "interesting stuff" that leads the eye to the subject.

Another note, I like the dark, underexposed look, I purposely do this, I turn my strobes way down using them for minimal fill so as to keep natural light predominant, I further underexpose as much as two full stops, this is me, my preference, I like it, you may not, my point here is that "the look" of the photos above is due to my vision, not inherent to the lenses, if you want brighter colors, more pop, no problemo, just don't under expose like I do.

James

James

Postby boletus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 pm

hi james.. i'm new onboard.. thank you for this usefull post.... ;)
i also have canon s90, ikelite housing, one inon d2000 and the fix uwl04... i'm not so happy about the corners... for me the lens is ok in the center... but very soft in the corners... before i have a fuji e900 with the ufl165ad.. to much flare.. but to much sharper... the plus of the fix lens is that you can do good sunburst... ;)
i think the same also for the camera.. the quality versus my old fuji... is almost the same..... looking my old shots at 100% vs the new shots... umh... not a big step... ok.. the s90 have a faster lens.. is faster at all... good lcd... but the syc time limited to 1/500 is a big disavantage for creativity.. :evil: i was expect to much quality after five years of development.... :shock: my two cents! ;)
sorry for my bad english.. :?
bye bye
fabio
boletus

Postby James » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Good points, I think my main interest here was comparing the lenses against one another when optimally fitted to a suitable camera/housing system. It is unfortunate that the expensive FIX90 housing is far superior in an important consideration--it mounts the accessory lenses several millimeters closer to the camera lens than the Ikelite or other similar housings. They simply mount the lenses to far forward/away for good optical coupling, thus your soft edges, vignetting, etc.

Since you bring it up, the big leap forward for the FIX90/S90 vs the Fuji like you once owned is the ability to have direct access to the shutter and aperture and superior housing, functionality and form, not the images the camera can produce, they are probably quite similar leaving the RAW capability etc aside.

You will probably have to jump to a dSLR or Micro 4:3 to gain a noticeable image improvement.

James

James

Previous

Return to Compact Camera Corner