Fix those scratches on your acrylic domes

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby Aussie_dave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:07 am

After knocking my Inon UFL-165AD into staghorn coral a year ago (oops), I noticed a few gouges in the acrylic dome. I thought all was well (water does fill some scratches) until taking a closer look, and noticed 4 small blurs in the bottom of every photo (circled in example):
Bats.jpg
Bats.jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 42061 times

I decided to try to fix the scratches, ordered a Micro-Mesh kit (NC-78-1), watched a YouTube video for courage, and started sanding. I nearly carked it when I saw my beautiful lens converted to rough opaque plastic with the first grit. Sequential sandings with increasingly fine grit, a liquid polish, then a spray of Plexus, and it looked pretty good.
Sand.jpg
Sand.jpg (32.43 KiB) Viewed 42061 times

Next trip was Vanuatu, and I was happy to see that the spots were gone from the photos.
Boat.jpg
Boat.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 42061 times

I knew that I would lose any coatings Inon had put on the acrylic dome (like anti-glare). The UFL-165AD is very prone to flare anyway, so I thought I had not a lot to lose. My backup was to get the dome replaced for a couple hundred bucks by sending the lens to an Inon dealer. Luckily all is well.

DIY.

- Dave
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Return to Compact Camera Corner