Hello from Argentina/Antarctica

Please introduce yourself here

Moderators: Jornari, cuddlefish

Postby MarceloMammana » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi everybody,
I am Marcelo Mammana. I am an argentine underwater photographer. I've been diving for more than 30 years, and spent the last 6 years, diving in Antarctica and Patagonia.
In 2007, I wintered over at San Martin Station, in Marguerite Bay, and in 2009, I've done in Jubany Station, both times for the whole year.
During the last winter over (2009), the sea froze for more than 4 months, so we had plenty of opportunities to dive under the ice. You are kindly invited to see some of my photographic work at http://www.marcelomammana.com, including a short movie that won a 2nd prize at the Antarctic Winter Film Festival, organized by the people at McMurdo.
I would be more than happy to help and learn from you all.
Best regards,
Marcelo
MarceloMammana

Postby tswinner » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:07 am

Welcome Marcelo,

Those are some beautiful ice images on your web site. I'd love to go diving there.
Can you tell us more about diving under the ice?

Thanks,

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby MarceloMammana » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Todd,
Thank you for your message and your visit.
About ice diving in Antarctica:
Best time to go is, despite what you can hear/read, winter. During summer months, the sun favors the algal growth and visibility gets down pretty fast. Of course, it is far more difficult to go in winter, unless you are prepared to stay for a year.
Diving under the ice is, for me, one of the most spectacular ways of diving, specially near trapped icebergs. Currents dig caves and tunnels in these giant ice masses, so you can go into, in a spectacular blue realm (you can see some of them in the movie).
Cold is critical, but not so much. You feel it more in your hands. As you need some dexterity both for safety and for maneuvering the cameras, these are the body parts that suffer most.
It's a matter of time. At the beginning, we had to get out after 15 minutes. But after a month of dayly dives, we could stay more than 45-50 minutes, without noticeing.
You have to pay attention to tables/computers and dive conservatively. Cold doesn't help to eliminate nitrogen at the normal pace, due to vasoconstriction (as you get down, you are "warm", so you absorb nitrongen as usual, however, when is time to get out, you normally are cold and vasoconstricted, so nitrogen take more time to get eliminated).
You need dual everything: two independent regulators, two or more lights, etc.
Free flow is a real danger situation, and is normally due to fast breathing or the presence of fresh water drops (or snow!) in the regulator, that freeze and stuck the mechanisms.
You really get tired soon, both due to cold, and to all the heavy gear you have to carry on.
Besides all these things, I think this is the most incredible, amazing, beautifull underwater scenes you can ever imagine.
I cannot wait to get back!
Please, let me know if you want information on some more specific subject.
Thanks again for your message,
Marcelo
MarceloMammana

Postby scottg » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:40 pm

wow! you have some amazing photos from Patagonia there. You should enter some in our photo competition
http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/under ... to-contest

seriously, you should invite some of us down there to dive, it looks amazing. Where do you live now?

Email me if you'd be interested in doing a photo essay on some of the patagonia or antarctic work for the site.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby Bart » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:22 am

you have some true amazing photo's on your website Marcelo !

Cheers,

Bart
Bart

Postby MarceloMammana » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Dearest Scott and Bart,
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Scott, thank you very much for your invitation. I will be very pleased to help. I will email you during the weekend so we can talk about what do you think would be of interest of the readers.
My best wishes,
Marcelo

Marcelo Mammana
www.marcelomammana.com
www.light-underwater.com
MarceloMammana

Postby MarceloMammana » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey, Bart!
I really love your nudibranch photos! (I love these critters!)
Cheers!
Marcelo
MarceloMammana

Return to Introductions