Interspecies Congregating?

Nudibranchs have a special place here. Share your photos and sightings!

Moderator: Dave Behrens

Postby Craig Hoover » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Congregating behavior is common in Polycera atra when egg ribbons are present. I am curious to know if anyone has looked at interspecies congregating. Dirona picta and Hermissenda crassicornis were present along with Polycera atra at the first sighting. I searched the same site a week later and did not observe any other interspecies congregating. At a different site I found close association of Flabellina Trilineata and Polycera atra. Neither of these slugs were observed elsewhere on the reef.

Does anyone knows anything about slug pheromones?

Here's what I know from personal experience with insects. I sat under the same tree for a week every day at the same time. No insects were observed crawling on my backpack. A week later I spilled some beetle pheromone synthesized in organic chemistry lab on my backpack. The next day I sat under the tree at the usual time and half an hour later there were insects of several different species crawling on the backpack.

Perhaps it really is all about the pretty pics. Here is one that I like from last weekend.

Craig
Craig Hoover

Postby scottg » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 pm

hey Craig - I don't see a photo, did you post one?

I usually don't see species right together, unless they are going after the same food source. I'm curious to see what other people have noticed.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby Craig Hoover » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi Scott,

I do not know how to post a picture as an image rather than as an attachment. Will you please help?

Craig
Craig Hoover

Return to Nudibranch Photos