Best Places to Dive in the Caribbean???

Dive Reports, Destinations Questions, and Travel Issues

Moderators: sharkman, critter-hunter

Postby sharkman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:20 am

What's your favorite place to dive in the Caribbean and why???
Happy diving everyone!
Travel Editor, Underwater Photography Guide
Nikon D700, Nexus Housing, Inon Z240
www.giftofadventure.com
www.flickr.com/photos/ridlon
sharkman

Postby scottg » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 am

I have found memories of Cozumel, I remember seeing so many turtles and eagle rays I couldn't believe it. But I know many people enjoy Bonaire, Curacao, Little Cayman and St. Vincent. And the shark trips in the Bahamas. I'd like to hear more about some of the other destinations.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby sharkman » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:14 am

I still love Belize as it has a wildness that's been lost in much of the Caribbean. Critical to dive offshore on Turneffe, Lighthouse or Glovers' Atolls. The farther out, the better the diving.
Happy diving everyone!
Travel Editor, Underwater Photography Guide
Nikon D700, Nexus Housing, Inon Z240
www.giftofadventure.com
www.flickr.com/photos/ridlon
sharkman

Postby Zig » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:40 pm

I really enjoyed my experience diving Grand Cayman, for its pristine reefs and insane visibility. A close second would be Turks & Caicos for its fantastic wall dives with the possibility of spotting some big critters.

Zig
Zig

Postby Hintermann » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:23 pm

Another vote for Cozumel as far as the quality of marine life goes. But our trip there in December 2008 was plagued by a very dodgy Dive Centre and crooked DMs which resulted in an official complaint to PADI. I later heard that sort of thing is common in Mexico.

Not exactly Caribbean as such but the diving in Bermuda is suprisongly good. Some great wrecks and colourful marine life for a desination so much north of the equator. There is a small but expensive liveaboard operating in the summer months.

I am going to Turks & Caicos on the Aggressor liveaboard at the end of May 2011.
Hintermann

Postby smb2 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:25 pm

Putting aside my bias for Curacao, I would have to say the outer reefs of Belize. Probably best seen by live aboard, in my case on the Aggressor fleet.
At the time the reefs were amazingly pristine with areas of amazing drop offs.
smb2

Postby Shutterup » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Cozumel still has my "heart". It is where I first learned to dive. When you add the free flowing, nutrient - enriched, drift diving, you have an array of colors that is hard to beat, no mattter what the aquatic life.
I do wish that Cozumel had a stricter code of enforcing the safety of aquatic life and coral reefs, as does Bonaire.
There are so many places to see.....and so little time.

Eddie
Shutterup

Postby ahsanmalick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 am

Yes dear last month i visited to Singapore. It is one of the most favorite cities in Southeast Asia. It is a dynamic and colorful city where you'll find a harmonious blend of culture, cuisine, arts and architecture. nigella lawson recipes is a very nice chef.
Last edited by ahsanmalick on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahsanmalick

Postby Miles » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 am

I loved Belize. caye caulker was cheap and diving/snorkelling was amazing. The island is nice, locals love to tell you to "slow down!"
Miles

Return to Dive Destinations and Travel