What is your favorite travel destination for u/w photography

Dive Reports, Destinations Questions, and Travel Issues

Moderators: sharkman, critter-hunter

Postby tswinner » Wed May 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey Kevin,

I knew there was a reason I shot wide angle. I can't even pronounce opisthobranchs. :lol:
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby critter-hunter » Fri May 14, 2010 3:42 am

dugong wrote:beautiful shots on your site, Mr. Critter!
I'd have loved to use my D300 or D700 underwater in the Solomons but the required housing and strobes would probably sink my kayak. Space is the problem for me as I'll be living off my kayak for a couple of months at least. The Canon S90 was the compromise solution...
I'm hoping for some decent shots as the S90 was a recommendation from an assortment of hardcore underwater photographers!

cheers
Alex

thxs for compliment on Solomon pics, you are living out of a kayak for a couple months ? Will you be travelling thru Florida islands and staying with locals ? Are you shooting for a magazine or will you be posting your work ? Sounds like a "real" adventure.

Larry (Critter Hunter)
Larry Polster
Retired and diving the world
critter-hunter

Postby dugong » Sat May 15, 2010 1:41 am

Hi Larry

yes, the plan is to live off my kayak for at least 3 months (or as long as I want, depending on the local authorities). At night I'll either be in one of the villages that I'll be coming across along the way or I'll choose a suitable beach. Camping as we know it is generally frowned upon in that part of the world so I'll probably be engaging in a fair bit of diplomacy along the way. But I don't expect too many problems.

There is no magazine or any organisation associated with this trip, I'm doing it on my own and everything has been financed out of my own pocket. I did something very similar 6 years ago and had the time of my life. The more "sponsors" you have the greater the expectations. This inevitably leads to pressure, conflict etc. I want none of that. I just want to have a great time! Gave up my job for this!!

Florida Islands are on my radar but I'll be starting in the Marovo Lagoon and then hope to cross (by boat) to the Choiseul and Santa Isabel islands later. I have an idea of what I'd like to achieve but no concrete itinerary. Flexibility is the key!!

Cheers
Alex
dugong

Postby douglasjhoffman » Sun May 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Aloha,

I tried to limit it to one destination but couldn't. I did get it down to five destinations.

Hawaii. Besides being home, the waters here are warm and clear and there are lots of frog fish and green sea turtles around.

Of Course Papua New Guinea is fantastic. Walindi and Milne Bay are world class. The macro is fantastic, but I will never forget swimming in a school of 10,000 plus jacks in the Vitu islands.

Then their is Indonesia featuring over 17,000 islands. I love the biodiversity and number of species. I also love the food and the people.

Fiji, for its colorful soft corals, healthy reefs, sheers numbers of anthias, and sharks.

Tonga is also on my list because its legal to swim with humpback whales.
douglasjhoffman

Postby sharkman » Wed May 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Has anyone here ever dived on the Yongalla in NW Aussieland? I'm not sure I've ever seen so much life per square foot. A must do if you're ever in that neck of the woods.
Happy diving everyone!
Travel Editor, Underwater Photography Guide
Nikon D700, Nexus Housing, Inon Z240
www.giftofadventure.com
www.flickr.com/photos/ridlon
sharkman

Postby critter-hunter » Thu May 27, 2010 3:59 am

Thinking about Raja Ampat in January, but realize how difficult it is to reach. I've been all over North Suluwesi, Ambon, Banda Sea, Solomons... Can anyone advise if Raja is really that much better than these areas around it ? Don't want to miss it if it's worth the effort.
Larry Polster
Retired and diving the world
critter-hunter

Previous

Return to Dive Destinations and Travel