briefing regarding shrimp and gopi!!

Marine Life Id, Critter Books, Marine Life conservation news, etc.

Moderators: Leslie Harris, nwscubamom

Postby amrala » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:47 am

hi there,

can u please give me some briefing regarding the pict attached i think its a gopi and shrimp is it right?

cheers
amr
Attachments
IMG_9785_1.jpg
Amr A. Abdul-Majeed
Canon G11,Canon WP-DC34 Housing
amrala

Postby Leslie Harris » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:35 am

Hi Amr --

That would be Alpheus djeddensis & Ctenogobiops crocineus. Certain members of the shrimp genus Alpheus live in association with certain gobies in a variety of genera. sometimes it's a one-to-one association, sometimes a shrimp species (like Alpheus randalli) will accept gobies of many different species.

The shrimp usually live in mated pairs. They spend their lives digging out & maintaining their burrows which can be extensive branching tunnels. The gobies present themselves at the opening of the burrows. The shrimp will either accept them or chase them away and eventually gain a mated pair of gobies. Associated species have evolved a whole vocabulary of movement to warn their partners of safety, danger, food, etc. During the day the fish forage for food while the shrimp maintain the burrow; some gobies even bring food back for the shrimp. At dusk the gobies go into the burrows, the shrimp go in & close off the opening, and they spend the night in safety. At dawn the shrimp opens up the burrow. It's a fascinating partnership.
Cheers, Leslie
So many worms, so little time
Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
Leslie Harris

Postby Trace » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Leslie,
What a great response! I knew they cooperated, housing, warning, etc., but I had no idea how much. Really interesting.
Trace
Trace

Return to Marine Life and Critters